Axler Linear Algebra What does this notation mean?

In summary, In chapter 1 of Axler's LA Done Right, the author defines a polynomial as a function p with coefficients in F, where p takes elements from the set A and outputs members of the set B. This notation, "p: A-> B", is typically learned in basic algebra or pre-calculus. However, textbooks and instructors can also provide guidance on this concept. The asker is reteaching themselves math from a more "pure" perspective and may ask questions on the forum for clarification.
Saladsamurai
In chapter 1 of Axler's LA Done Right, he defines a polynomial as such:

"Our next example of a vector space involves polynomials. A function [itex]p:\mathbf{F}\rightarrow\mathbf{F}[/itex] is called a polynomial with coefficients in
F ..."

Can someone translate this "[itex]p:\mathbf{F}\rightarrow\mathbf{F}[/itex]" into words? I have never seen that notation before.

Physics news on Phys.org
"p: A->B" means p is a function with domain A and codomain B. Or in other words, p takes elements from the set A and outputs members of the set B.

Thanks! How would one know that btw? That is, what subject does one learn that in?

Normally, one learns what "F:A-> B" means in basic algebra or pre-calculus.

Saladsamurai said:
Thanks! How would one know that btw? That is, what subject does one learn that in?

Normally, one uses textbooks in conjunction with an instructor, and the instructor answers such questions. I guess this board is a (slow) substitute for having an instructor...

g_edgar said:
Normally, one uses textbooks in conjunction with an instructor, and the instructor answers such questions. I guess this board is a (slow) substitute for having an instructor...

Yeah. That's the route I am going. My maths seem to be lacking when it comes to the fundamentals. I have completed all of the math in my engineering requirement and have performed very well, but a lot of the base details seem to be missing. Not sure why. But I am reteaching myself all of the math I have learned (and more) from a more 'pure' perspective.

As a result, PF will have to deal with the onslaught of stupid questions that I usually harass my teachers with :redface:

GO PF!

1. What is Axler Linear Algebra?

Axler Linear Algebra refers to the textbook "Linear Algebra Done Right" written by Sheldon Axler, a professor of Mathematics at San Francisco State University. It is a popular textbook used in introductory linear algebra courses at many universities.

2. What is the purpose of the notation used in Axler Linear Algebra?

The notation used in Axler Linear Algebra is a way to represent mathematical concepts and operations in a concise and consistent manner. This notation is used to simplify complex equations and make them easier to understand and work with.

3. How is Axler Linear Algebra different from other linear algebra textbooks?

Axler Linear Algebra differs from other textbooks in its approach to the subject. It focuses on the fundamental concepts and ideas of linear algebra, rather than just teaching methods for solving problems. It also uses a geometric and intuitive approach, rather than a more algebraic approach.

4. What does the notation "Axler Linear Algebra" mean?

The notation "Axler Linear Algebra" is simply a way to refer to the textbook written by Sheldon Axler. It is named after the author and the subject of the book, which is linear algebra.

5. Is Axler Linear Algebra suitable for beginners?

Axler Linear Algebra can be suitable for beginners, however, it may be more challenging for those without a strong mathematical background. It is recommended for students who have a good understanding of algebra and are looking to deepen their understanding of linear algebra concepts.