Calculating values of electric and amgnetic fields of laser beam

In summary, the peak values of the oscillatory electric and magnetic fields Eo and Ho are 318.4160428 and 119959.9933 V m^-1, respectively.
krhisjun

Homework Statement

A continuous wave laser beam in free space carries a power of 15w and has a circular cross section with diameter 1mm. Calculate peak values of the oscillatory electric and magnetic fields Eo and Ho repectively.

Homework Equations

Eox = ([tex]\mu[/tex]/[tex]\epsilon[/tex])^1/2 Hoy
[tex]\pi[/tex]r^2
Energy flow = 1/2 (HE + EH)
energy flow = | E x H |
E = Eo cos ([tex]\omega[/tex] t )

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so i have the energy flow as 19098.593 Kj / s / m^2
I know energy flow = 1/2 \HE + EH ) = EH = |E x H| this energy flow is in direction of wave..

But i can't work out how to relate this to get the mag of electric field or magnetic field

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are in vacuum, I don't think there's any reason to complicate things. E=cB, and B=μ0H

Matterwave said:
Since you are in vacuum, I don't think there's any reason to complicate things. E=cB, and B=μ0H

Bu then HHow do i calculate H?

Just invert the second equation for H in terms of B.

Sorry, i mean to say i don't know how i would get H B or E.

i can see easily how with any of the variables allows the other for calculation but I am at a loss to get any.

[tex]\bar{S}=\frac{E^2}{2\mu_0c}[/tex]

for fear of asking the obvious, S being?

S bar is the average of the magnitude of the Poynting Vector, it is the flux (or intensity) of the laser measured in Watts per meter squared.

Ok, didnt realize that equation,
so using those values E = [tex]\sqrt{2S\mu c}[/tex] ?
Therefore E = 119959.9933 V m^-1 ?

H = E/c[tex]\mu[/tex] ?
Therefore H = 318.4160428 A m^-1 ?

I tried to confirm the equations using dimensional analysis:
E = V m^-1
mu= kg·m·s−2·A−2
C = m S^-1
S = J s^-1 m^-2

I can't get that to equal but i think i may be rearranging wrong.

Thankyou for yor help so far

1) How do you calculate the electric and magnetic fields of a laser beam?

The electric and magnetic fields of a laser beam can be calculated using Maxwell's equations, specifically the equations for the electric and magnetic fields in free space. These equations take into account the wavelength, intensity, and polarization of the laser beam, as well as the refractive index of the medium it is passing through.

2) What units are used to measure the electric and magnetic fields of a laser beam?

The electric and magnetic fields of a laser beam are typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) and tesla (T), respectively. However, other units such as millivolts per meter (mV/m) and gauss (G) may also be used.

3) How does the intensity of a laser beam affect the electric and magnetic fields?

The intensity of a laser beam is directly proportional to the electric and magnetic fields. This means that as the intensity increases, the electric and magnetic fields will also increase. However, the exact relationship between intensity and field strength depends on the specific properties of the laser beam and the medium it is passing through.

4) Can the electric and magnetic fields of a laser beam be manipulated?

Yes, the electric and magnetic fields of a laser beam can be manipulated using various techniques, such as changing the polarization of the beam or using optical elements like lenses and mirrors to focus or shape the beam. These manipulations can alter the intensity and direction of the fields.

5) Why is it important to calculate the electric and magnetic fields of a laser beam?

Calculating the electric and magnetic fields of a laser beam is important for understanding the behavior of the beam and how it interacts with its surroundings. This information can be used for various applications, such as designing optical devices, studying the properties of materials, and ensuring the safety of individuals working with lasers.