What Methods Can Be Used to Prove Sequence Divergence?

In summary: All of the original statements are true.The first statement is true because the limit of f(n) does exist and is zero. The second statement is true because the limit of f(x) does not exist as x approaches +∞. The third statement is true because the limit of a_{n} does not exist as n gets larger and larger.
Bipolarity
I'm trying to understand divergence of a sequence (not series). What methods can I use to prove divergence? I know that convergence can be proven using various methods, such as squeeze theorem and sum, difference, product and quotient rule etc.

Could I use the following to prove divergence?

If [itex] a_{n} [/itex] is a sequence of real numbers, [itex] f(n) = a_{n} [/itex] and [itex] \lim_{n→∞} f(n) [/itex] does not exist, but is not equal to ∞ or -∞, does [itex] a_{n} [/itex] necessarily diverge?

If [itex] a_{n} [/itex] is a sequence of real numbers, [itex] f(n) = a_{n} [/itex] and [itex] \lim_{n→∞} f(n) = ∞ [/itex], does [itex] a_{n} [/itex] necessarily diverge?

These two ideas will greatly facilitate my understanding of sequence divergence.
Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes to both questions.

micromass said:
Yes to both questions.

Hey micro, but what about the sequence [itex] a_{n} = sin(2πn) [/itex]. It is the case that
[itex] \lim_{n→∞}f(n) [/itex] does not exist, yet the limit of [itex]a_{n}[/itex] converges to 0, right??

BiP

The limit [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} f(n)[/itex] does exist and is zero. (I assume that n is always an integer)

However, if you extend f to [itex]f(x)=\sin(2\pi x)[/itex] for [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex], then the limit [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f(x)[/itex] doesn't exist.

Bipolarity said:
[itex] \lim_{n→∞}f(n) [/itex] does not exist

Why do you say that?

Edit: ninjaed

micromass said:
The limit [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} f(n)[/itex] does exist and is zero. (I assume that n is always an integer)

However, if you extend f to [itex]f(x)=\sin(2\pi x)[/itex] for [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex], then the limit [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f(x)[/itex] doesn't exist.

micromass, I'm sorry I think I misphrased my question. When I refer to f(n) in my original post, I refer to it as a function with domain ℝ as opposed to [itex]a_{n}[/itex] which I take to be defined only for natural numbers.

Given this clarification, which of the following original statements is true and why?

BiP

1. What is the definition of divergence of a sequence?

The divergence of a sequence is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence as its terms continue to increase or decrease indefinitely. In other words, it is a measure of how the terms in a sequence are growing or shrinking over time.

2. How is divergence of a sequence different from convergence?

Unlike convergence, which describes a sequence that approaches a specific limit as its terms continue, divergence describes a sequence whose terms do not approach a limit and instead continue to increase or decrease indefinitely.

3. What are some common examples of divergent sequences?

Some common examples of divergent sequences include the sequence of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, ...), the sequence of positive even numbers (2, 4, 6, 8, ...), and the sequence of positive odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, ...). These sequences do not approach a limit and instead continue to increase or decrease indefinitely.

4. How is the divergence of a sequence determined?

The divergence of a sequence is determined by analyzing the behavior of its terms as the sequence continues. If the terms of the sequence continue to increase or decrease indefinitely, then the sequence is divergent. If the terms approach a specific limit, then the sequence is convergent.

5. Why is the concept of divergence of a sequence important in mathematics?

The concept of divergence of a sequence is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of infinite sequences and their limits. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in various applications, such as in the study of series and the calculation of limits.