Register to reply

Mixing Ethanol and Water

by nirmaljoshi
Tags: ethanol, mixing, water
Share this thread:
nirmaljoshi
Aug2-14, 12:04 AM
P: 3
Why heat is generated when ethanol is mixed with water? Please also explain why the existing hydrogen bond of water disintegrated to accommodate ethanol molecule?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
sagarbhathwar
Aug2-14, 12:57 PM
P: 27
Ethanol molecules are much smaller in size than the water molecules and as a consequence some of the ethanol molecules tend to cram in between the water molecules, thus breaking the hydrogen bond.
Enthalpy of mixing water and ethanol is -ve(exothermic), hence heat is liberated.
Orodruin
Aug2-14, 04:21 PM
P: 681
Quote Quote by sagarbhathwar View Post
Ethanol molecules are much smaller in size than the water molecules and as a consequence some of the ethanol molecules tend to cram in between the water molecules, thus breaking the hydrogen bond.
Water molecules are significantly smaller than ethanol molecules.

Water: H2O
Ethanol: CH3-CH2-OH

sagarbhathwar
Aug2-14, 07:43 PM
Mixing Ethanol and Water

Oh im extremely sorry. It exactly the other way around. Swap places with ethanol and water :)

Thanks
Sagar
nirmaljoshi
Aug5-14, 07:57 PM
Quote Quote by sagarbhathwar View Post
Enthalpy of mixing water and ethanol is -ve(exothermic), hence heat is liberated.
My question is why it is exothermic? As you said, "Ethanol molecules are much smaller in size than the water molecules and as a consequence some of the ethanol molecules tend to cram in between the water molecules, thus breaking the hydrogen bond."

But after mixing, water and ethanol again forms the hydrogen bond and hence they remain in stable form. That is, one hydrogen bond is broken and another is formed. If so, there should not be any liberation of energy.

Please correct me if i am on wrong way.
sagarbhathwar
Aug5-14, 08:07 PM
Yes. H-bond is formed again between hydrogen and water molecules but the strength of this bond is weaker than that between water-water molecules. So I am guessing that is why some heat is liberated.
Always consider difference in strength of the bonds. Not just the bonds.
nirmaljoshi
Aug5-14, 10:39 PM
Thanks.

Could you please briefly direct me how the difference in strength of bond is measured?

Register to reply