How do I simplify the expression Differentiating Integrals?

In summary, the mathematician was looking for a formula to differentiate an integral. After making a mistake in their expansion, they were able to follow the advice given and differentiate the integral.
AngelofMusic
Hello,

My question has to do with differentiating an integral. We are given:

[tex]f(x)=1/2\int_{0}^{x} (x-t)^2 g(t)dt[/tex]

And we are asked to prove that:

[tex]f'(x)=x\int_{0}^{x}g(t)dt - \int_{0}^{x}tg(t)dt[/tex]

My Solution:

I expanded [tex](x-t)^2[/tex] into [tex]x^2-2xt+t[/tex] and then expanded

[tex]f(x)=x^2/2\int_{0}^{x}g(t)dt - x\int_{0}^{x}tg(t)dt + \int_{0}^{x}t/2g(t)dt[/tex]

Then I differentiated using the product rule:

[tex]f'(x)=x\int_{0}^{x}g(t)dt + g(t)x^2/2 - \int_{0}^{x}tg(t)dt - xtg(t) + t/2g(t)[/tex]

This is close to what they want me to prove, but I have these extra terms:

[tex]g(t)x^2/2-xtg(t)+t/2g(t)[/tex]

Which is basically [tex](t-x)^2/2g(t)[/tex].

How do I eliminate that term? Does it evaluate to 0 somehow?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can work out the details yourself, but what you overlooked, when you took the derivative, is that the integrals themselves are functions of x, since the upper limit is x. The derivatives are the integrands, g(t) or tg(t).

Thank you so much for your help!

I noticed a mistake in my expansion of [tex](x-t)^2[/tex]

And once that was fixed, I was able to follow your advice and differentiate this correctly.

[tex](x-t)^2=x^2-2xt+t^2[/tex]

So,

[tex]f(x)=x^2/2\int_{0}^{x}g(t)dt - x\int_{0}^{x}tg(t)dt + \int_{0}^{x}t^2/2g(t)dt[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=x\int_{0}^{x}g(t)dt + g(x)x^2/2 - \int_{0}^{x}tg(t)dt - x^2g(x)+x^2/2g(x)[/tex]

And then the [tex]x^2/2g(x)-x^2g(x)+x^2/2g(x)[/tex] cancel each other out, and

[tex]f'(x)=x\int_{0}^{x}g(t)dt - \int_{0}^{x}tg(t)dt[/tex]

Thanks again for your help!

LalPlace's formula

d/dx (∫g(x)h(x)f(t,x)dt is

∫g(x)h(x)&partial;f(t,x)/&partial;xdt + dg/dx f(x,g(x))- df/dx f(x,h(x))

What is Differentiating Integrals?

Differentiating integrals is a mathematical process that involves finding the derivative of a function through integration. It is the reverse process of integration, which involves finding the area under a curve.

What is the purpose of Differentiating Integrals?

The purpose of differentiating integrals is to find the rate of change of a given function. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating velocity, acceleration, and growth rates.

What are the steps for Differentiating Integrals?

The steps for differentiating integrals involve first identifying the integral, then using integration rules to rewrite the integral in a different form. Next, use the power rule, chain rule, and other derivative rules to find the derivative of the function. Finally, simplify the derivative to get the final answer.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when Differentiating Integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when differentiating integrals include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not simplifying the derivative fully, and making errors when using integration rules. It is important to carefully check each step and be familiar with the various derivative rules.

How is Differentiating Integrals used in scientific research?

Differentiating integrals is used in scientific research to analyze and model various phenomena. It is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics where understanding the rate of change of a system is crucial. It can also be applied in data analysis to find the trends and patterns in a dataset.