The Geometry of Molecules: Exploring Simple and Complex Shapes

In summary, molecules can be represented by simple geometric shapes, such as triangles, squares, and pentagons. Complex molecules can also be represented by geometric shapes, such as pyramids, cubes, and dodecahedrons.
Loren Booda
What types of simple geometric shapes are represented by molecules? I think of linear polymers, DNA, buckyballs, benzene rings, various crystal lattices...

What comes to your mind? Other polygons, hyperbolas, parabolas, spirals, fractals, ovals...?

How about what's the most random or complex molecule you know?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What kind of shape are you looking for? I've got it. I've got triangles, I've got squares, pentagons, crap, you name the number of corners you want in you're polygon and we've got it.

We've got pyramids, cubes, dodecahedrons. We've got a special on israelane, a 3-D Star of David. We've got molecular anthropomorhpic stick figures. Buckytubes, buckyballs, buckyonions, bucky peapods. We've got anything you can think, and our inventory's growing everyday.

Pss, let me get you in on a little secret, friend, cause I like your face. If it's complexity you're looking for, look no further than natural products, and there's nothing that geometrical regular solids have on these babies. Take a look at our taxol, or tetradodoxin. Take a gander at rapamycin, calicheamycin, brevetoxin, and the grand daddy of them all... maitotoxin.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
... maitotoxin.

What's the story on this one? Ugliest thing in my database is ciguatoxin (?), Chem. Rev. about ten years ago on natural products.

Originally posted by Bystander
What's the story on this one? Ugliest thing in my database is ciguatoxin (?), Chem. Rev. about ten years ago on natural products.

Don't know about ciguatoxin, but here's a link with the structure of maitotoxin.

http://mol.ch.wani.osaka-u.ac.jp/lab/murata/murata/achiev_engl.html [Broken]

It's clearly related to brevetoxin, the principle toxin in red tide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see the IUPAC name for that puppy. Thanks, I should see if I can dredge up the beast I saw in Chem. Rev. --- strikes me it went around 9000 --- I'd swear ciguatoxin, but don't really want to bank on it.

(edit)
Don't hold your breath, anyone --- just went through the entire review article, Chem, Rev. July-Aug 93, and nothing matches what I remember; maitotoxin does appear as the largest non-repetitive biomolecule for which structure has been elucidated.

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of understanding the geometry of molecules?

The geometry of molecules is crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of substances. It affects their physical and chemical properties, such as melting point, boiling point, and reactivity. It also plays a significant role in biological processes and drug design.

2. How is the geometry of a molecule determined?

The geometry of a molecule is determined by its electron pair arrangement, which is dictated by the number of valence electrons and the type of bonding present. Using VSEPR theory, we can predict the shape of a molecule based on the repulsion between electron pairs.

3. What are the different types of molecular geometry?

The most common types of molecular geometry are linear, trigonal planar, tetrahedral, trigonal bipyramidal, and octahedral. Other more complex shapes include bent, trigonal pyramidal, seesaw, T-shaped, and square pyramidal.

4. How does molecular geometry affect polarity?

The symmetry of a molecule's geometry determines its polarity. Nonpolar molecules have symmetrical shapes, while polar molecules have asymmetrical shapes. This affects the distribution of charge and determines if a molecule is hydrophilic or hydrophobic.

5. Can molecular geometry change?

Yes, the geometry of a molecule can change due to factors such as temperature, pressure, and intermolecular forces. For example, a molecule may have a linear shape at room temperature but change to a bent shape at high temperatures. Additionally, the presence of other molecules can also affect the geometry of a molecule in a chemical reaction.