Finding a Family of Solutions to the Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation was about finding a family of solutions to a differential equation and using an integrating factor to solve it. The solution was given as y+ 2xyln(x)+ x2/2 = C and the person had some confusion regarding the use of log(0) in the solution. They were also curious about how the integrating factor was chosen in this case.
mr_coffee
Ello ello!
confusion, part 3. THe directions are the following:
Find a family of solutions to the differential equation
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/64/86dc9abe51adb1b16452035777ef8b1.png
(To enter the answer in the form below you may have to rearrange the equation so that the constant is by itself on one side of the equation.) Then the solution in implicit form is:
the set of points (x, y) where F(x,y) = ENTER ANSWER HERE = constant

I'm abit distraught, how would i go about doing this?
I re-wrote it as:
(x^2+2xy)+x(dy/dx) = 0;

the Ti-89 said the answer is:
y= -2xy*ln(x)-x^2/2 + c
but when i solve for C and get:
C = y + 2xy*ln(x) + x^2/2;
WEbworks says, Can't take Log(0).

Any tip on what i shall do>?
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
Ello ello!
confusion, part 3. THe directions are the following:
Find a family of solutions to the differential equation
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/64/86dc9abe51adb1b16452035777ef8b1.png
(To enter the answer in the form below you may have to rearrange the equation so that the constant is by itself on one side of the equation.) Then the solution in implicit form is:
the set of points (x, y) whereENTER ANSWER HERE = constant

I'm abit distraught, how would i go about doing this?
I re-wrote it as:
(x^2+2xy)+x(dy/dx) = 0;

the Ti-89 said the answer is:
y= -2xy*ln(x)-x^2/2 + c
but when i solve for C and get:
C = y + 2xy*ln(x) + x^2/2;
WEbworks says, Can't take Log(0).

Any tip on what i shall do>?
thanks.

What does log(0) have to do with it? Your original problem said "Find a family of solutions to the differential equation" in the form F(x,y) = C. Okay y+ 2xyln(x)+ x2/2 = C is of that form.

I am not terribly impressed by your letting a TI-89 do the work for you- you are supposed to be smarter than a machine! If you divide xy'+ x2+ 2xy= 0 by x you get y'+ x+ 2y= 0, a linear equation:
y'+ 2y= x. Multiplying the entire equation by e2x, an integrating factor, give e2xy'+ 2e2x= (e2xy)'= xe2x. The integral of the left side, of course, is e2xy and the right hand side you can do with integration by parts.

I know I'm ashamed of myself. Thanks for the help though, it worked! You just forgot a minus sign on ur explanation but everything else was right! But i had a question. How did you know to muliply everything by e^(2x)? For integrating facotr i always thought u had to have like:
y'+y/x = x;
then the integrating factor would be:
I = e^(integral(1/x));
I = x;

But in my case, there wasn't anything but a 2 infront of the y.

THe answer that was right was this one:
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/74/3b36e53e805bbec1fd92f9d7f9bf841.png

Thanks again!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives. It is used to describe how a quantity changes over time or space.

2. Why is it important to find a family of solutions to a differential equation?

Finding a family of solutions to a differential equation allows us to understand the behavior of a system over time and make predictions about its future state. It also helps us to model and solve complex real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you find a family of solutions to a differential equation?

The method for finding a family of solutions varies depending on the type of differential equation. For linear equations, one can use methods such as separation of variables or variation of parameters. For non-linear equations, numerical methods or approximations may be used.

4. Can a differential equation have more than one family of solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have infinitely many families of solutions. This is because a differential equation represents a relationship between functions, and there can be many different functions that satisfy the equation.

5. How can a family of solutions be verified to be correct?

A family of solutions can be verified by substituting the solution into the original differential equation and checking if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, the solution can be graphed to visually confirm its accuracy.