Miscellaneous calculation with moles, mass and gas volume

In summary, the problem involves an oxy-acetylene gas mixture with known volume, pressure, and temperature. Using the general gas equation, the number of moles of each gas can be determined. The limiting reactant can also be determined, which will affect the amount of reaction products. The goal is to find the reactant shown in the given chemical equation and the partial pressures of each gas after the reaction at a specified temperature.
pavadrin
Here is the problem:
An oxy-acetylene gas mixture contains 1.05l of acetylene (C2H2) and 2.6L of oxygen both measured at 102 kPa and 298 K. The mixture is contained in a sealed bottle of 5.5L volume. Determine the reacted as shown here ( 2C2H2(g) +5O2(g)  4CO2(g) + 2H2O(g) ) and the temperature is 851°C.
I don’t have the slightest idea on how to approach this problem, so any posts suggesting the method of approach (or the final answer and working so I can follow :biggrin: ) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
Determine the number of moles of each gas. Chemical reactions occur on a molecular basis and the mole is proportional to the number of molecules.

Is the mixture stoichiometric or rich in either acetylene or oxygen? The lesser of the two (lower number of moles) would limit the amount of reaction products.

Use the general gas equation to find the number of moles of each reactant. Find out the limiting reactant.

pavadrin said:
Determine the reacted as shown here ( 2C2H2(g) +5O2(g)  4CO2(g) + 2H2O(g) )

What's that supposed to mean? Also, what are you actually supposed to find out?

ultima9999 said:
Use the general gas equation to find the number of moles of each reactant. Find out the limiting reactant.

What's that supposed to mean? Also, what are you actually supposed to find out?
That question mark is supposed to be an arrow, sorry. I am trying to find out the reactant shown in the equation, and the partial pressure of each of the gas/es after the reaction has occur at the stated temperature.
Thanks
Pavadrin

1. What is the relationship between moles, mass, and gas volume?

The relationship between moles, mass, and gas volume can be described using the ideal gas law: PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This law states that at a constant temperature and pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles and inversely proportional to the mass of the gas.

2. How do I convert moles to mass or mass to moles?

To convert moles to mass, you can use the formula: mass = moles x molar mass. The molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance and can be found on the periodic table. To convert mass to moles, you can use the formula: moles = mass / molar mass.

3. Can I use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of a gas at non-standard conditions?

Yes, you can use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of a gas at non-standard conditions by rearranging the equation to solve for V. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes ideal conditions and may not be accurate for real-world situations.

4. How do I calculate the number of moles of a gas given its volume and density?

To calculate the number of moles of a gas, you can use the formula: moles = density x volume / molar mass. The molar mass can be found on the periodic table and the density can be measured or given in the problem.

5. What is the difference between molar mass and molecular weight?

Molar mass and molecular weight are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance and is measured in grams per mole (g/mol). Molecular weight is the mass of one molecule of a substance and is measured in atomic mass units (amu) or grams per mole (g/mol).