Solving Video Movie Problem: Winamp Issues

In summary, the video did not play well when transferred from the pc to the laptop. I am going to try installing the Ffdshow program to see if that will help.
peejake
hey guys,

Here is the problem...i downloaded a video in avi. format...I played it in winamp and it worked well...Then i transferred it to my laptop and tried to play it in winamp and all that happens is that i can hear the sound and see no video...whats happening? All other videos work well...

Thanks
Jake

Computer science news on Phys.org
Most likely cause is you are missing the particular codec on the laptop that the file need.
The .avi designator is kind of a catch all. The actual stucture of the file can vary.
When a pgm opens the file it looks at the file header to determine which codec to load to decode the video.
Audio is a separate codec and you can have the reverse happen. You see the video with no sound.

I'm going to guess that you don't have the laptop on the net. If you did then winamp might try to donwload the right codec.

You could also have a corupted codec or the file transfer went bad.

A good directshow decoding filter which has the ability to play many codecs is ffdshow. It works in the backgound for practically all media players.

Ffdshow is used by many videophiles because you can manipulate the video real time.

You can download it from sourceforge.

Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffdshow"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou all for the help,

Ill download Ffdshow and try to change the format of the video and see if it helps...

Jake

peejake said:
Thankyou all for the help,

Ill download Ffdshow and try to change the format of the video and see if it helps...

Jake
No need to change the format, once you installed ffdshow the video should play just fine in whatever player you use.
If it still does not play then if you like and it is "for all eyes" you could post it on one of those free internet spaces and I will take a look at it. :smile:

you could also download gspot codec appliance to find out which codec your missing and get it

MeJennifer said:
No need to change the format, once you installed ffdshow the video should play just fine in whatever player you use.
If it still does not play then if you like and it is "for all eyes" you could post it on one of those free internet spaces and I will take a look at it. :smile:

You are right...I downloaded the program and installed. After that i just used winamp that i used to use and it worked pretty well..:smile: I am glad it did. HOwever i discovered that there was a little degrading of the actual quality of the video, which does not bother me much...It works and I am happy:smile:

Thankyou MeJennifer and everybody else who has helped me...:smile:

1. Why is my Winamp not playing any videos?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that the video you are trying to play is in a compatible format for Winamp. You can check the list of supported formats on the Winamp website. Secondly, check your audio and video drivers to make sure they are up to date. If the issue persists, try reinstalling Winamp or using a different media player.

2. How do I fix the audio and video being out of sync on Winamp?

This can happen if the video file is corrupted or if your computer is struggling to play the video. You can try playing the video on a different media player to see if the issue persists. If it does, the problem is likely with the video itself. If not, try updating your audio and video drivers and make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Winamp.

3. Is there a way to change the default video player in Winamp?

Yes, you can change the default video player in Winamp by going to the Preferences menu and selecting "File Types". Here, you can choose which video formats you want Winamp to be the default player for. You can also select a different media player as the default for certain file types.

4. Why is my Winamp freezing when I try to play a video?

This could be due to a lack of processing power or memory on your computer. Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Winamp and try closing any other programs that may be running in the background. If the issue persists, try reinstalling Winamp or using a different media player.

5. How can I improve the video quality on Winamp?

You can improve the video quality on Winamp by going to the Preferences menu and selecting "Video". Here, you can adjust the video rendering settings and enable hardware acceleration if your computer supports it. You can also try playing the video in full screen mode for a better viewing experience.