Fluid Dynamics Homework: Reservoir Connection and Bernoulli's Principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of water flow between two reservoirs connected by a pipe. By applying Bernoulli's equation, it is determined that the potential energy per volume of water is converted into pressure energy as it flows down. However, the velocity of the water leaving the tank may decrease as it drains and may also be affected by frictional losses in the pipe. The configuration of the tubing and water level in the higher tank can also impact the flow rate.
Gyroscope

Homework Statement

This is my creation.
I have a reservoir at an height h and another one on the floor. I connect them through a pipe with constant diameter. If the water start flowing from the higher reservoir to the lowest with will flow with constant velocity. This is true, isn't it?
By Bernoulli, I can say that potential energy per volume is being converted in pressure energy as the water flows down. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gyroscope said:

Homework Statement

This is my creation.
I have a reservoir at an height h and another one on the floor. I connect them through a pipe with constant diameter. If the water start flowing from the higher reservoir to the lowest with will flow with constant velocity. This is true, isn't it?
By Bernoulli, I can say that potential energy per volume is being converted in pressure energy as the water flows down. Am I right?

What are the relevant equations? Forget the second tank for a second, assume the tank is simply allowed to drain, is the rate of drainage constant? Hint: Imagine it nearly full and then nearly empty.

John

No. As the tank drains, the velocity the water leaves the tank is decreasing.

I created this problem. The relevant equations is just Bernoulli's and continuity.

But imagine that the higher tank is being filled with water so that the level remains constant. In this case, the velocity of the water flowing through the pipe is constant in space and time. Right?

I suppose, it depends on the configuration, if the tubing connecting the two is under water at any point then the flow will change as a function of the growing backpressure.

It is not underwater. So am I right?

p+1/2rhoV^2 + rho*g*h=constant. But this neglects the frictional losses in the pipe. Not clear what is being asked really at this point? Sorry I can't be of more assistance,
John

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids move and interact with their surroundings. It involves the analysis of forces and motion in liquids and gases, and is used to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems.

2. How are reservoirs connected in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, reservoirs are connected through pipes or channels that allow the flow of fluid between them. These connections can be simple or complex, and the design of the connections can greatly affect the flow rate and pressure of the fluid.

3. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is based on the conservation of energy, which means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant. As fluid moves faster, it gains kinetic energy, causing a decrease in its pressure.

4. How is Bernoulli's principle related to fluid dynamics homework?

Bernoulli's principle is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics and is often used to solve problems related to fluid flow in pipes and channels. In homework assignments, students may be asked to apply Bernoulli's principle to analyze the behavior of fluids in a given system and calculate various properties such as flow rate and pressure.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many real-life applications, including designing pumps and turbines, predicting weather patterns, and understanding the behavior of fluids in the human body. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and marine engineering to optimize the design and performance of various systems that involve fluid flow.