Does the sum of the mass of two bodies vary with the distance between them ?

In summary, according to general relativity, the total mass of a system of two bodies at rest and interacting with potential energy V(r) will be less than the sum of the masses of its constituents. This applies to all types of interactions and is known as the ADM mass concept. In weak fields, the difference between the total mass and the sum of the individual masses will be a negative number equal to the Newtonian binding energy of the system. This concept is different from the special relativity concept of mass and is applicable in asymptotically flat spacetimes.
C_Ovidiu
Say we have 2 bodies of m1 , m2 .
The distance between them is
a) r1 Ma=m1+m2
b) r2>r1 Mb=m1 +m2
In each case the mass was measured by an inertial observer . Is it true that Ma<Mb
I saw this kind of thinking in measuring the energy neccesar to separate a nucleon from a nucelous . It said that a nucleus mass is less than the mass of the component nucleons added .
I only read special relativity . Is this a general relativity case ?

Physics news on Phys.org
C_Ovidiu said:
a) r1 Ma=m1+m2
b) r2>r1 Mb=m1 +m2
In each case the mass was measured by an inertial observer . Is it true that Ma<Mb
I saw this kind of thinking in measuring the energy neccesar to separate a nucleon from a nucelous . It said that a nucleus mass is less than the mass of the component nucleons added .

Suppose that two bodies [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] are at rest and there is interaction between them with potential energy [itex]V(r)[/itex] . Then the total energy of the system is

[tex] E(r) = m_1c^2 + m_2c^2 + V(r) [/tex]

and the total mass

[tex] M(r) = E(r)/c^2 = m_1 + m_2 + V(r)/c^2 [/tex]

If the interaction is attractive [itex]V(r) < 0[/itex], then the total mass of the system is less than the sum of masses of its constituents. These rules are valid for all kinds of interactions: electromagnetic, nuclear, and (I believe) gravitational as well.

Eugene.

C_Ovidiu said:
a) r1 Ma=m1+m2
b) r2>r1 Mb=m1 +m2

Basically, the answer is yes, though it turns out that GR defines more than one type of mass.

See for instance This wiki article or this one

for some of the details on defintions of mass in GR. (Note also that I wrote the second article above).

If you use the appropriate GR defintion of mass (say the ADM mass), then if you separate m1 and m2, you can measure their individual masses in isolation (as long as they are in asymptotically flat spacetimes so that the ADM mass concept applies).

Then one can allow m1 to approach m2, and keep the assumption that spacetime is asymptotically flat so that the ADM concept applies. The mass of the system, m_total, will then be lower than m1 + m2, and for weak fields m_total - m1 - m2 will be a negative number equal to the Newtonian binding energy of the system.

1. How does the distance between two bodies affect their combined mass?

The distance between two bodies does not affect their combined mass. The total mass of a system remains constant regardless of the distance between the individual bodies.

2. Does the sum of the mass of two bodies change when they are moved closer together?

No, the sum of the mass of two bodies remains the same regardless of their distance from each other. The distance between two bodies does not impact their total mass.

3. Is the combined mass of two bodies affected by their proximity to each other?

The combined mass of two bodies is not affected by their proximity to each other. The total mass of a system is determined by the individual masses of the bodies and is not influenced by their distance.

4. Can the sum of the mass of two bodies increase or decrease as they move towards or away from each other?

No, the sum of the mass of two bodies cannot increase or decrease as they move towards or away from each other. The total mass of a system remains constant, regardless of the distance between the individual bodies.

5. Does the mass of two bodies change when they are attracted to each other by a force?

No, the mass of two bodies does not change when they are attracted to each other by a force. The force of attraction between two bodies is dependent on their masses and the distance between them, but it does not affect their total mass.