Solving Matrix with Gaussian Elimination: Find Solutions

In summary, by using Gaussian elimination on the given matrix, we can determine that there are no solutions to the system of equations represented by the matrix. This is because when a zero row is equal to a real number, there are no solutions. The incomplete process of Gaussian elimination also shows that the matrix is not in reduced-echelon form, further indicating that there are no solutions.
Firepanda
I used Gaussian elimination on a matrix to find the soultions. I know that there is either no solutions or infinatley many, but the matrix is confusing me.

The only definition I have of when a matrix has infinatley many solutions is when a zero row is equal to zero, and no solutions when a zero row is equal to a real number.

But in this case is it infinatley many solutions or no solutions?

1 2 3 | 4

0 3 1 | 1

0 3 1 | 0

Where 3y + z = 1 and 0.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firepanda said:
I used Gaussian elimination on a matrix to find the soultions. I know that there is either no solutions or infinatley many, but the matrix is confusing me.

The only definition I have of when a matrix has infinatley many solutions is when a zero row is equal to zero, and no solutions when a zero row is equal to a real number.
0 is a real number! You mean a non-zero number.

But in this case is it infinatley many solutions or no solutions?

1 2 3 | 4

0 -3 -1 | -1

0 -3 -1 | 0

Where -3y - z = -1 and 0.

Thanks
You haven't finished your Gaussian Elimination. Subtract the second row from the third.

your matrix is not in reduced-echelon form yet. do row 2 minus row 3 and see...

ah, so no solutions :P thanks

What is Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a method for solving systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the equations into a simpler form by using row operations to create zeros in certain positions. The goal is to reduce the system to a form where the solutions can be easily determined.

How do you use Gaussian Elimination to solve a matrix?

To solve a matrix using Gaussian Elimination, you must first convert the matrix into an augmented matrix by adding a new column for the solutions. Then, use row operations to create zeros in the appropriate positions. Once the matrix is in row-echelon form, you can easily determine the solutions by back substitution.

What are the advantages of using Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a systematic and efficient method for solving systems of linear equations. It allows you to easily determine the solutions to a matrix without having to manually solve each equation. It also works for any number of variables, making it versatile and applicable to a wide range of problems.

What are the limitations of Gaussian Elimination?

One limitation of Gaussian Elimination is that it can be time-consuming and tedious for larger matrices. It also relies on the assumption that the equations are consistent and have a unique solution. If this is not the case, the method will not work.

Can Gaussian Elimination be used for non-linear equations?

No, Gaussian Elimination can only be used for systems of linear equations. Non-linear equations require different methods, such as substitution or graphing, to solve. Trying to use Gaussian Elimination on non-linear equations will not produce accurate or useful results.