Can You Explain Beta Minus Decay and its Relation to Neutrinos?

• Thread starter hasnain721
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beta Decay
In summary, the conversation discusses beta minus decay and how it involves the transition of a parent nucleus into a daughter nucleus with two side products, an electron and an antineutrino. The conversation also mentions how if there was only the electron as a side product, there would be a continuous range of energies as seen in the graph provided. The conversation ends with a thank you from hasnain and a response from astrorob.
hasnain721
[SOLVED] beta minus decay?

Hi,
Here is a question from beta minus decay which i could not understand :

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2512/59060072re9.jpg

I could do the first bit but not the second. I believe that it has something to do with neutrinos and missing energy but i am not 100% sure about it.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hasnain,

Beta decay involves the transition of a parent nucleus into a daughter nucleus with two sideproducts; an electron and an antineutrino.

Since the nucleus is so massive, it carries little kinetic energy away from the reaction (it recoils very little), the vast majority of the energy goes into the two sideproducts.

Now let me ask you a question:

If there was only the electron as a sideproduct, would there be a continuous range of energies as we see here?

astrorob said:
hasnain,

Beta decay involves the transition of a parent nucleus into a daughter nucleus with two sideproducts; an electron and an antineutrino.

Since the nucleus is so massive, it carries little kinetic energy away from the reaction (it recoils very little), the vast majority of the energy goes into the two sideproducts.

Now let me ask you a question:

If there was only the electron as a sideproduct, would there be a continuous range of energies as we see here?

hi,
Thanks a lot for replyin astrorob.

As far as the question goes, i believe that if only an electron was a side product them the graph would have been a straight line parallel to the y axis. Is that right?

hasnain,

You are correct. There would be only a small range of energies the electron could carry away and this would manifest itself (essentially) as a straight line at x=0.78.

astrorob said:
hasnain,

You are correct. There would be only a small range of energies the electron could carry away and this would manifest itself (essentially) as a straight line at x=0.78.

Thanks a lot astrorob.

CHeers!

You're welcome.

1. What is beta minus decay?

Beta minus decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus emits a beta particle, or an electron, in order to become more stable. This process involves the conversion of a neutron into a proton, resulting in a decrease in the atomic number of the nucleus.

2. How does beta minus decay occur?

Beta minus decay occurs when a nucleus has an excess of neutrons, making it unstable. In order to become more stable, the nucleus emits a beta particle and transforms into a different element.

3. What are the characteristics of a beta particle?

A beta particle is a high-energy electron that is emitted during beta minus decay. It has a charge of -1 and a mass of 1/1836 atomic mass units. Beta particles are highly penetrative and can be stopped by a few millimeters of aluminum.

4. What are the applications of beta minus decay?

Beta minus decay has various applications in different fields. In nuclear power plants, it is used to control the rate of fission reactions. In medical imaging, beta minus decay is used in positron emission tomography (PET) scans to produce images of the body's internal structures.

5. How is beta minus decay different from other types of radioactive decay?

Beta minus decay is different from other types of radioactive decay, such as alpha decay and gamma decay, because it involves the emission of a beta particle rather than an alpha particle or a gamma ray. Additionally, beta minus decay results in a decrease in the atomic number of the nucleus, while alpha and gamma decay do not affect the atomic number.