Paper-Folded Fractal Pattern - Know the Name?

• Thread starter davee123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractal
In summary, The conversation discusses a fractal pattern that was discovered by folding a piece of paper and later recognized as a type of Hilbert, Sierpinski, or Moore curve, although it is not exactly any of these. The pattern is also mentioned in relation to Julia sets. A link to the Wikipedia article on dragon curves is provided as a reference.
davee123
I'm not exactly even sure what group to post this in-- as a child (perhaps 10 years old or so), I happened upon this fractal pattern by folding a piece of paper in half multiple times. Anyway, some years later, when I learned more about fractals, I recognized it for what it was, but I never was able to find out if it had a proper name. Anyone recognize it?

DaveE

Attachments

• unfold_fractal.gif
    unfold_fractal.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 446
Computer science news on Phys.org
Borek said:
Google for Hilbert, Sierpinski and Moore curves, although it is neither of these.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_curve

Woah, thanks! I had remembered "Julia sets", but those were clearly wrong. Neat to see that they even mention the unfolding paper example in the wiki article.

DaveE

1. What is a paper-folded fractal pattern?

A paper-folded fractal pattern is a geometric design created by repeatedly folding a piece of paper in half and then unfolding it to reveal intricate patterns.

2. How is a paper-folded fractal pattern created?

To create a paper-folded fractal pattern, you start with a square piece of paper and fold it in half in one direction. Then, you unfold it and fold it in half in the other direction. This process is repeated multiple times, each time folding in a different direction, until the desired pattern is achieved.

3. What are some examples of paper-folded fractal patterns?

Some examples of paper-folded fractal patterns include the Sierpinski Triangle, the Koch Snowflake, and the Dragon Curve.

4. What is the significance of knowing the name of a paper-folded fractal pattern?

Knowing the name of a paper-folded fractal pattern allows you to communicate and discuss the pattern with others who are familiar with it. It also allows you to research and learn more about the specific properties and applications of that particular fractal pattern.

5. Can paper-folded fractal patterns be found in nature?

Yes, paper-folded fractal patterns can be found in nature, such as in the branching patterns of trees, the spiral patterns of shells, and the intricate designs of snowflakes.