Charge released from rest near a grounded conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the force on a charge q released a distance d from a semi-infinite grounded conductor using the method of images. The force is calculated to be F = -q^2 zhat / (4 pi epsilon0 (2d)^2), but the question remains about how to find the time it takes for the charge to reach the conductor. After discussing the definition of force and integrating it, the conversation suggests writing the force as a function of the variable z and finding an equation for the velocity of the charge as a function of z. This leads to the solution of the problem.
radonballoon

Homework Statement

A charge q of mass m is released a distance d from a semi-infinite grounded conductor. How long will it take the charge to reach the conductor?

So I tried this using the method of images, and I can easily find the force on the charge a distance d away:

F = -q^2 zhat / (4 pi epsilon0 (2d)^2)

But I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help would be fantastic

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]F= - \frac{q^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 (2d)^2}\hat{z}[/tex]
[tex]F = m \frac{\partial^2 r}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

Does this help??

Sam =]

Not really, I'm aware of the definition of Force. If you'd like to show how to integrate that I'd be grateful, but I have no idea.

d is a constant here: instead, write the force as a function of the variable z (the variable distance to the conductor). Then, as an intermediate step, can you get an equation for the velocity dz/dt of the charge as a function of z?

Thanks that was what I needed to do.

Just as a followup:
change second derivative of z to dv/dz*dz/dt=dv/dz*v
from there it's pretty easy

1. What is meant by "charge released from rest near a grounded conductor"?

This phrase refers to a scenario in which an electrically charged object is placed near a grounded conductor, such as a metal plate or wire, and then allowed to move freely.

2. Why is this scenario important in the study of electricity?

This scenario is important because it allows us to observe the behavior and interactions of charged particles in an electric field. It can also help us understand how grounded conductors can affect the movement of these particles.

3. What happens to the charged object when it is released near a grounded conductor?

The charged object will experience a force due to the electric field created by the grounded conductor. Depending on the relative charges of the two objects, the charged object may be attracted or repelled by the grounded conductor.

4. How does the distance between the charged object and grounded conductor affect the behavior of the charged object?

The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance between the objects increases. Therefore, the closer the charged object is to the grounded conductor, the stronger the force it will experience.

5. Are there any safety concerns when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to take proper precautions when working with electrical charges. Make sure to handle the charged object and grounded conductor with insulated gloves or tools, and avoid touching the conductor while it is charged.