Cook Smoked Ham - Ideas for Supper

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary: It was a little on the salty side. I served it with wild rice (the rice was already cooking by the time I posted the OP), and just quickly steamed some frozen mixed veggies to go with... not a bad dish all around.
NeoDevin
I have a smoked ham (completely precooked), and I'm looking for ideas of what to do with it for supper. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just eat it the way it is. Maybe green beans and mashed potatoes would go good with it.

Just slice it and nuke it.

Just wait until Woolie sees this thread. He'll tell you what to do with that ham (counter-intuitive, at best, I know).

Hmm, I usually eat most during supper because that's when I've done most of the day's work... anyway, I would:

1) Cook a serving of rice - add a few pieces of whole cinnamon, a tablespoonful of seasoning wine and some butter in the water. (5min+)

2) Place rice in a ceramic plate with elevated circumference (like those soup plates). (<1min)

3) Mix with whatever spices/additional ingredients (sliced mushrooms/canned corn are OK) you can imagine (up to your creativity), and place your smoked ham in desired manner. Sprinkle minced cheese above... like 80% mozzarella and 20% cheddar. (? min)

4) Bake in oven until cheese is crispy.Or actually, if you're lazy... 2 slices of bread + sliced ham + margarine < 2min

NeoDevin said:
I have a smoked ham (completely precooked), and I'm looking for ideas of what to do with it for supper. Any suggestions?
Send it to me.

I'm now conducting an experiment into teriyaki baked ham.

NeoDevin said:

What are the parameters?

ephedyn said:
What are the parameters?

1 ham, 1 home-made teriyaki sauce, 1 oven.

Edit: Actually I guess it's 8 x 0.125 ham, to be more accurate, since I sliced it first so it would heat faster.

Take the fully cooked smoked ham, slice it along with some tasty sharp cheese, and pile it alongside some slices of seeded rye or pumpernickel, with maybe some pickles, horseradish...contemplate and see if anything comes to you. BTW, do not feed the finished product to your son until he is old enough to wash it down with a beer.

NeoDevin said:
1 ham, 1 home-made teriyaki sauce, 1 oven.

Edit: Actually I guess it's 8 x 0.125 ham, to be more accurate, since I sliced it first so it would heat faster.

I proclaim myself your advisor.

Your experiment is doomed to fail. :wink:

ephedyn said:

I'll wait for the second and third opinions from my wife and son.

ephedyn said:

Looks like you were wrong. It was enjoyed by everyone.

*shrugs* it was faulty instrumentation.

Set oven to max, put in ham and bake for about 8 hrs, best done if you have an engagement that day.

wolram said:
Set oven to max, put in ham and bake for about 8 hrs, best done if you have an engagement that day.

:uhh: Dunno, is the fire brigade around the corner?

pantaz said:
I've enjoyed the results of this recipe from Alton Brown (Good Eats):
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/city-ham-recipe/index.html

It takes a little work, but it's really good.

On his video, Alton teaches how to choose & cook both a city ham and country ham (dry salt cured, often smoked). He prepares the recipe you pointed out pantaz, on the city ham.

You can view the video on youtube, which is in two parts.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr0OJyglHXw"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr0OJyglHXw
choice of City Ham starts at 5:30, Country Ham at 6:11

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoDevin said:

That sounds dangerously like it could wind up too salty. Apparently it turned out well though. Maybe add some pineapple and serve with white rice... mmm trying to think of a good veggie to go with it...

Use a dry spice rub (your choice) and slow cook it on a rotisserie. As the outside crisps...trim off thin pieces and apply additional spice to fresh cut surface to taste.

It takes a while...but well worth the effort...if you want something different.

TheStatutoryApe said:
That sounds dangerously like it could wind up too salty. Apparently it turned out well though. Maybe add some pineapple and serve with white rice... mmm trying to think of a good veggie to go with it...

It was a little on the salty side. I served it with wild rice (the rice was already cooking by the time I posted the OP), and just quickly steamed some frozen mixed veggies to go with it.

WhoWee said:
Use a dry spice rub (your choice) and slow cook it on a rotisserie. As the outside crisps...trim off thin pieces and apply additional spice to fresh cut surface to taste.

It takes a while...but well worth the effort...if you want something different.

That sounds tempting, but I don't own a rotisserie.

Has no one mentioned honey, seeded mustard and lots of CLOVES? :tongue2:

1. How do I cook a smoked ham?

Cooking a smoked ham is simple and can be done in the oven, on the stovetop, or even in a slow cooker. The most common method is to bake the ham in the oven at 325°F for 15-20 minutes per pound. However, you can also boil or roast it on the stovetop or use a slow cooker for a more hands-off approach. Just make sure to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches 145°F before serving.

2. What are some ideas for sides to serve with a smoked ham?

Smoked ham pairs well with a variety of side dishes, including mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, green beans, corn on the cob, mac and cheese, and even a simple salad. You can also incorporate the ham into a casserole or use it to make a delicious sandwich.

3. Can I use a glaze on my smoked ham?

Yes, you can use a glaze on your smoked ham to add flavor and a nice caramelized finish. There are many different glaze recipes available, but some popular options include honey mustard, brown sugar and pineapple, and maple and Dijon mustard. Just make sure to baste the ham with the glaze during the last 30 minutes of cooking.

4. How do I store leftover smoked ham?

To store leftover smoked ham, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in the refrigerator. It can be stored for up to 3-4 days. If you have more ham than you can eat in that time frame, you can also freeze it for up to 2-3 months. Just make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.

5. What are some creative ways to use leftover smoked ham?

There are many delicious ways to use leftover smoked ham. You can chop it up and add it to omelets or frittatas for breakfast, use it to top a homemade pizza, make a ham and cheese quiche, or add it to soups or stews for a hearty meal. You can also use it to make sandwiches or wraps for an easy and tasty lunch option.