Confused on sigma notation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a sigma notation problem with an index variable of 3, when the problem could easily be solved with an index variable of 1. It is suggested to write out the terms with i starting at 1 and then subtract the first two terms to find the solution.
haydn
I understand how to solve sigma notation problems where the index variable is equal to 1, but how would I solve a problem like this??

n
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (i2-3)
i=3

If i was equal to 1 I would be able to solve this, but I'm not sure what to do since it is equal to 3.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to start the index at i=1 instead of i=3, and you want to know how to change the general term of i2-3.

If you shift the initial index from 3 to 1, then you need to change the general term the same number of index units in the other direction. That is how you compensate for the change to the index variable.

I'm searching for the proper latex formatting in this message tool set but cant' find it.
Summation from 3-2 to n, of (i+(3-1))2-3
You know you wanted to change the starting index value by 2 units to the left, so you change the general term by 2 units to the right.

I just need to try this:

[tex]^{n}_{1}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex](i+2)2-3

Not exactly the way I hoped it would look, but it is very close; maybe readable by understanding reading members.

Last edited:
haydn said:
I understand how to solve sigma notation problems where the index variable is equal to 1, but how would I solve a problem like this??

n
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (i2-3)
i=3

If i was equal to 1 I would be able to solve this, but I'm not sure what to do since it is equal to 3.

Thanks!

Think about it, if we have

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} i^{2} - 3 [/tex]

Now let's write out the first term, we now have

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} i^{2} - 3 = (1^{2} - 3) + \sum_{i=2}^{n} i^{2} - 3 = -2 + \sum_{i=2}^{n} i^{2} - 3 [/tex]

Keep writing out the terms until you get to your sum i.e. the one that starts from 3.

Do you see what the answer is?

haydn said:

n
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (i2-3)
i=3

Thanks!
i starts and 3, it is not "equal to 3". If you were able to do it with i starting at 1, then one way to do this problem is to write out what you would have if i started with 1, then throw away the first two terms!

What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) followed by the expression or formula to be summed, with the variable of summation written below.

How do I read and write sigma notation?

To read sigma notation, start with the lower limit of summation (usually denoted by a number or variable written below the sigma), then write the expression or formula to be summed with the variable of summation replacing the variable in the formula. Finally, write the upper limit of summation (usually denoted by a number or variable written above the sigma). To write sigma notation, follow the same steps but replace the expression or formula with the actual values or terms to be summed.

What is the purpose of using sigma notation?

Sigma notation is useful for simplifying and representing large sums or series in a concise and organized manner. It also allows for easy manipulation and calculation of sums using mathematical properties and operations.

What are the common properties of sigma notation?

Some common properties of sigma notation include the commutative and associative properties, as well as the distributive property. These properties allow for the rearrangement and simplification of sigma notation expressions.

How do I use sigma notation in scientific calculations?

Sigma notation can be used in various scientific calculations, such as finding the sum of a series of data points or calculating the area under a curve. It can also be used in statistical calculations, such as finding the mean or standard deviation of a sample. By converting the data or formula into sigma notation, the calculations can be simplified and more easily manipulated.