Proving the Equivalence of Cardinalities |P(N)| = |Reals|

• Thread starter Unassuming
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the cardinality of the power set of natural numbers, denoted as |P(N)|, is equal to the cardinality of the real numbers, denoted as |R|. The first approach is to construct a map from P(N) to R by using decimal expansions, but it is shown to be one-to-one but not onto. The second approach is to show a map from R to P(N), and the Cantor-Schroeder-Bernstein Theorem is mentioned as a potential tool. Finally, the conversation suggests using a binary expansion to show a bijection between [0,1] and P(N), and then proving the well-known result that |[0,1
Unassuming

Homework Statement

Show that |P(N)|=|R|. (R=reals, |X| is the cardinality of X).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

#1.) P(N) --> R

Given any element, A, of P(N), construct a decimal expansion .x1x2x3x4... by the rule that x_i=1 (if i is in A) and x_i=0 (if i is not in A).

So the element {1,7} would give .1000001

This map is 1-1 but not onto the Reals.

#2.) R --> P(N)

If I can show this direction then #3 follows. I know a little about the mapping of [0,1] onto the Reals. I cannot determine if that helps here.

#3.) Using the Cantor-Schroeder-Bernstein Theorem, |P(N)|=|R|.

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1, instead of a decimal expansion make it a binary expansion. In fact I think you can show this to give a bijection between [0, 1] and P(N). Then use (or prove) the "famous" result that | [0, 1] | = |R|.

What is the definition of cardinality?

Cardinality refers to the measure of the number of elements in a set. It is often denoted by |S|, where S is the set. The cardinality of a set can be finite, infinite, or even uncountable.

How is the cardinality of a set determined?

The cardinality of a set is determined by counting the number of elements in the set. For finite sets, this can be done by simply counting the elements. For infinite sets, it is determined by finding a bijection, or one-to-one correspondence, between the set and the natural numbers.

What does it mean for two sets to have the same cardinality?

Two sets have the same cardinality if there exists a bijection between them. This means that each element in one set can be paired with a unique element in the other set, and vice versa. In other words, the two sets have the same number of elements.

Why is proving the equivalence of cardinalities important?

Proving the equivalence of cardinalities is important because it allows us to compare the sizes of different sets and determine if they are the same or different. This is especially useful in mathematics and computer science, where understanding the size of sets is crucial for solving problems and developing algorithms.

How is the equivalence of |P(N)| and |Reals| proven?

The equivalence of |P(N)| and |Reals| is proven using the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem. This theorem states that if there exists an injection from set A to set B and an injection from set B to set A, then the cardinalities of A and B are equivalent. In the case of |P(N)| and |Reals|, the injections are established using the power set and the decimal expansion of real numbers, respectively.