Convergence of (2^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+5^(n)) using the Comparison Test

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the series (2^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+5^(n)) converges or diverges and the use of the ratio test to determine its convergence. It is suggested to use a clever comparison, such as (3^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+4^(n)), and apply the ratio test to show that the original series must converge. The suggestion to look up the comparison test for series and ensure all requirements are met is also mentioned.
Juggler123
Decide (with justification) if the following series converges or diverges;

Sum(1,infinty) (2^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+5^(n))

I've tried using the ratio test but I couldn't see that it was helping in any way, should I be using a different type of test for this problem? I really can't see where to start with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and think of a clever comparison to which you can apply the ratio test. E.g. (2^n+3^n)/(4^n+5^n)<=(3^n+3^n)/(4^n+4^n). See, I substituted a larger numerator and a smaller denominator?

So if you apply the ratio test to the (3^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+4^(n)) you find that this series converges as l<1 (l=3/4?). Is it then allowable to say that the original series converges as it is less than (3^(n)+3^(n))/(4^(n)+4^(n)) and therefore the limit must be lees than the limit of the above series and hence it must converge.

You tell me, ok? Look up the comparison test for series and make sure all the requirements are fulfilled. It's good practice.

What is a sum of infinite series?

A sum of infinite series is the sum of an infinite number of terms in a sequence. It is a mathematical concept used to represent an infinite sum of numbers.

How do you find the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series can be found by using specific mathematical techniques, such as the geometric series formula or the telescoping series method. In some cases, the sum may also be found by using a computer program or calculator.

What is the difference between a convergent and divergent infinite series?

A convergent infinite series is one that has a finite sum, meaning that the sum of all the terms in the series is a finite number. A divergent infinite series does not have a finite sum and the sum of its terms continues to increase without ever reaching a final value.

Can an infinite series have a negative sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a negative sum if the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values. In this case, the sum of the series would be the difference between the sum of the positive terms and the sum of the negative terms.

What is the importance of infinite series in mathematics and science?

Infinite series are used in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, and engineering. They are used to approximate values, solve equations, and model real-world phenomena. Infinite series also play a crucial role in understanding the concept of infinity and its applications in various fields.