Help with EM Fields and Dirac Delta Needed

In summary, the problem is that you need to solve the equation: \square \phi = - \frac{ \rho}{\epsilon} to find the potential in a point.
Vermax
Hi guys.

I play now a bit with EM fields and I have encountered some problems connected with Dirac delta. By coincidence I visited this forum and I thought I could find some help in here.

The problem is that in order to get a potential in some point from a single charge you need to just solve such thing:

[tex]
\square \phi = - \frac{ \rho}{\epsilon}
[/tex]

and there by the way you need to use such equation:
[tex]

\nabla^2 \frac{ 1}{ | \vec{r} - \vec{r_0} |} = - 4 \pi \delta ( \vec{r} - \vec{r_0})
[/tex]

I would appreciate if someone could show me where it comes from :)

PS. Sorry for my mistakes or improper names for some mathematical or physical stuff but I am from Poland :P

Physics news on Phys.org
The second equation just means that the charge distribution δ(r - r0) has the electrostatic potential 1/4πε0|r - r0| because it satisfies the Poisson equation.

Hmm right! I have just realized that thanks to you but still something is not clear for me.

[tex]\rho = q \delta (\vec{r} - \vec{r_0} )[/tex]
right?
So where [tex]q [/tex] and [tex]\epsilon [/tex] are missing in this equation?

They cancel out because they're on both sides of the equation:

[tex] \nabla^2 \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}|r - r_0|} = -\frac{q\delta(r - r_0)}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

Oh yes! Thank you very much!

One more thing, my professor looking on that equation said something about sham contraction conected with the fact that divergence is zero all around that charge. That was surely connected somehow with Dirac delta, but I do not get it somehow. Do you know something about it?

Sham contraction? Hmm.. never heard of it.

I am a little bit embarassed as it can be coused by a lingul problem. I meant ofcourse apparent discrepancy connected with the fact that divergence of E field around this single charge is 0, where it is not true. But if just you have not not heard about it as you wrote thanks for all your help :)

The divergence of E is always zero in places where charge density is zero. That's one of Maxwell's equations.

Oh yes and that's why there is this paradox I think. Thanks again.

What is an EM field?

An EM field, or electromagnetic field, is a physical field that is created by electrically charged objects. It consists of both an electric field and a magnetic field, and it is responsible for the interactions between charged particles.

What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, also known as the unit impulse function, is a mathematical function that is used to describe a point charge or a point magnetic dipole. It is defined as 0 for all values except 0, where it is infinite. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent point-like objects in mathematical models.

How are EM fields and the Dirac delta function related?

EM fields and the Dirac delta function are related because the Dirac delta function can be used to describe point charges or point dipoles, which are sources of EM fields. The electric and magnetic fields created by these point sources can be calculated using the equations of electromagnetism, with the Dirac delta function representing the charge or dipole moment.

Can the Dirac delta function be used to describe continuous distributions of charge or current?

No, the Dirac delta function is only defined at a single point and cannot be used to describe continuous distributions of charge or current. In these cases, other mathematical functions, such as the Gaussian function, are used to model the distribution of charge or current.

How is the Dirac delta function used in practical applications?

The Dirac delta function has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in solving differential equations and modeling physical systems, such as point particles and point sources of EM fields.