Is anyone studying the idea of nothing?

In summary: I am not a student of science and as an uninformed simple-minded layperson; I have this TV mangled version of what is nothing. No-thing that is the lack of a thing, what is before the “Big-Bang”? A possible positive quality is that it is uniform although form implies something, I guess. No space/time treating it (space/time) as a thing intrigued me. I think of Infinity/Eternity in space/time, the way I understand it from popular science programs, as a space-time singularity where space/time is infinitely curving in on itself. Are there contradictions in this statement? Does this gravitational singularity lead to nothingness or an infinite something?
martin1223
I am not a student of science and as an uninformed simple-minded layperson; I have this TV mangled version of what is nothing. No-thing that is the lack of a thing, what is before the “Big-Bang”? A possible positive quality is that it is uniform although form implies something, I guess. No space/time treating it (space/time) as a thing intrigued me. I think of Infinity/Eternity in space/time, the way I understand it from popular science programs, as a space-time singularity where space/time is infinitely curving in on itself. Are there contradictions in this statement? Does this gravitational singularity lead to nothingness or an infinite something? Can space/time abruptly begin from nothing and continue infinitely. Alternatively, are my terms imprecise and confuse the whole…
Talk about me being dense like a space-time singularity!

Physics news on Phys.org
martin1223 said:
I am not a student of science and as an uninformed simple-minded layperson; I have this TV mangled version of what is nothing. No-thing that is the lack of a thing, what is before the “Big-Bang”? A possible positive quality is that it is uniform although form implies something, I guess. No space/time treating it (space/time) as a thing intrigued me. I think of Infinity/Eternity in space/time, the way I understand it from popular science programs, as a space-time singularity where space/time is infinitely curving in on itself. Are there contradictions in this statement? Does this gravitational singularity lead to nothingness or an infinite something? Can space/time abruptly begin from nothing and continue infinitely. Alternatively, are my terms imprecise and confuse the whole…
Talk about me being dense like a space-time singularity!

A quick search through the Astronomy/Cosmology forums will lead you on your way to enlightenment, I'm sure of it.

Thanks, Sorry! I truly hope you are not...

1. What is meant by "the idea of nothing"?

The idea of nothing refers to the concept of emptiness or absence of something. It can also refer to the philosophical and scientific inquiry into the nature of nothingness and its implications.

2. Why would anyone study the idea of nothing?

Studying the idea of nothing can help scientists and philosophers understand the fundamental nature of our universe and the concept of existence. It can also provide insights into the nature of reality and the limitations of human perception.

3. What disciplines are involved in studying the idea of nothing?

The idea of nothing is studied in various disciplines, including physics, philosophy, mathematics, and theology. Each discipline brings a unique perspective to the concept of nothingness.

4. Are there any practical applications for studying the idea of nothing?

While studying the idea of nothing may not have immediate practical applications, it can lead to new insights and advancements in various fields. For example, understanding the concept of nothingness has contributed to developments in quantum mechanics and cosmology.

5. Is there a consensus among researchers about the idea of nothing?

There is no definitive consensus among researchers about the idea of nothing. Different disciplines and individuals may have varying perspectives and interpretations of nothingness. However, ongoing research and discussions continue to contribute to our understanding of this concept.