Natural Exponential Function Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for x in two different equations. For the first equation, the steps involve multiplying both sides by (1 + e-x) and then dividing by 3 before taking the ln. For the second equation, the goal is to arrive at an inequality of the form A < x < B by exploiting the monotonicity of exponential and logarithmic functions.
Gattz

Homework Statement

10(1 + e-x)-1=3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm supposed to solve for x, but I don't know how to go about this. I tried dividing the 3 by the 10, but after that I don't know what to do. I believe I should use ln on both side, but that's after I solved for x right?

Homework Statement

a) 2<lnx<9
b) e2-3x>4

Homework Equations

It asks me to solve for the inequality of x, but I'm I don't know what that means and I don't know what the greater/less than signs mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gattz said:

Homework Statement

10(1 + e-x)-1=3

Homework Equations

I'm supposed to solve for x, but I don't know how to go about this. I tried dividing the 3 by the 10, but after that I don't know what to do.
Multiply both sides by (1 + e-x), then divide both sides by 3. Don't take the ln of both sides until you have the exponential term all by itself on one side.
Gattz said:
I believe I should use ln on both side, but that's after I solved for x right?

Homework Statement

a) 2<lnx<9
b) e2-3x>4

Homework Equations

It asks me to solve for the inequality of x, but I'm I don't know what that means and I don't know what the greater/less than signs mean.
For a) it means that you need to arrive at an inequality of the form A < x < B. I really hope you didn't mean you don't understand what these inequality signs mean. If so, you're going to have to go back and review the section that introduced inequalities.

Without working the problem for you, if you had this equation 5 = ln x, you could "exponentiate" each side of the equation; that is, you can make each side the exponent on e, giving you e5 = eln x.
Hopefully, you know that eln x = x, so we have solved this equation for x.

You can do the same thing with your inequality.

For b, you can take the ln of both sides.

For the second equation, you are expected to exploit the monotonocity of the exponential and logarithmic functions. Specifically:

[itex]u < v \Rightarrow \ln(u) < \ln(v)[/itex]

[itex]u < v \Rightarrow e^u < e^v[/itex]

--Elucidus

Elucidus said:
For the second equation, you are expected to exploit the monotonocity of the exponential and logarithmic functions. Specifically:

[itex]u < v \Rightarrow \ln(u) < \ln(v)[/itex]

[itex]u < v \Rightarrow e^u < e^v[/itex]

--Elucidus
Nit: "For the second inequality..."

Mark44 said:
Nit: "For the second inequality..."

Point taken. It goes to show that I have way too much math on the brain - I meant to write "second question." :redface:

--Elucidus

What is a natural exponential function?

A natural exponential function is a mathematical function that has a base of the irrational number e, approximately equal to 2.71828. It is written as f(x) = e^x and is commonly used to model situations involving continuous growth or decay.

How do you solve natural exponential function problems?

To solve a natural exponential function problem, you can use the properties of logarithms or the laws of exponents. You can also use a calculator or a graphing software to find the values of the function at different points.

What are some real-life applications of natural exponential functions?

Natural exponential functions can be used to model various real-life situations such as population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and bacterial growth. They are also used in physics, chemistry, and economics to describe continuous processes.

What is the difference between a natural exponential function and a common exponential function?

The main difference between a natural exponential function and a common exponential function is the base. While the base of a natural exponential function is e, the base of a common exponential function can be any positive number. The natural exponential function is also often used to model continuous growth, while the common exponential function is used to model discrete growth.

How can I check if a function is a natural exponential function?

To check if a function is a natural exponential function, you can look at its form. A natural exponential function has the form f(x) = e^x, where e is the base and x is the variable. You can also check if the function has a constant ratio of change, which is a characteristic of natural exponential functions.