Fluoride Ions needed to treat water

• Thread starter MellowOne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions Water
In summary, to prevent tooth decay, fluoride ions are added to drinking water at a concentration of 1 mg of F - ion per L of water. To treat a 7.50 x 10^2 gallon reservoir, approximately 284 kg of sodium fluoride would be needed.
MellowOne

Homework Statement

Fluoride ion is poisonous in relatively low amounts: 0.2 g of F - per 70 kg body weight can cause death. Nevertheless, in order to prevent tooth decay, F - ions are added to drinking water at a concentration of 1 mg of F - ion per L of water. How many kilograms of sodium fluoride is needed to treat a 7.50 x 10^2 gallon reservoir?

Homework Equations

1mg = 1.0 x 10^-6kg
1 gal = 283,905,884 liters

The Attempt at a Solution

I did 7.50 x 10^2 gallons and converted it to liters. Knowing how many liters is in the reservoir and knowing it takes 1.0 x 10^-6 kg to treat 1 liter of water, I got my answer as 284 kg. Anyone know what I did wrong? I'm fairly confident the answer is 284 kg.

Physics news on Phys.org
MellowOne said:
1 gal = 283,905,884 liters

Doesn't look OK.

--

I figured it out, I forgot a step and yeah I just looked at it again and realized I put the wrong conversion.

1. What is a fluoride ion and why is it added to water?

A fluoride ion is a negatively charged form of the element fluorine. It is added to water to help prevent tooth decay and promote oral health. Fluoride ions have been shown to strengthen tooth enamel and make it more resistant to acid attacks from bacteria in the mouth.

2. How much fluoride is needed in water to be effective?

The optimal level of fluoride in water for preventing tooth decay is 0.7 parts per million (ppm). This amount has been determined to be both safe and effective in improving oral health. However, the specific amount may vary depending on factors such as climate, diet, and access to other sources of fluoride.

3. Is fluoride added to all types of water?

No, fluoride is not added to all types of water. It is typically added to public water systems, but not to bottled water or well water. Some natural sources of water may also contain naturally occurring fluoride. It is important to check with your local water authority to determine if fluoride is added to your water supply.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with fluoride in water?

When added at the recommended levels, fluoride in water has been found to be safe and effective. However, excessive intake of fluoride can lead to a condition called fluorosis, which can cause discoloration of the teeth. It is important to follow the recommended levels and monitor intake from other sources such as toothpaste and mouthwash.

5. Can fluoride in water be removed?

Yes, fluoride can be removed from water through various methods such as reverse osmosis, distillation, or activated alumina filtration. However, it is important to note that these methods may also remove other minerals and nutrients from the water. If you are concerned about your fluoride intake, it is recommended to consult with a healthcare professional.