Vector Calculus question

In summary: If you're working in a Cartesian system, then the above substitutions wouldn't work (unless you changed the order of the multiplications).
jmckennon

Homework Statement

Attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to start these. Once I figure out one of them, I should be able to do the rest. The confusing piece to me is with the unit directional vector (a_rho etc. My teacher has me horribly confused as to what I'm supposed to do with those terms. My initial idea is to use the matrix method for solving it. But I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• prob 2 19.JPG
    prob 2 19.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
You might do better if you post your problem as text rather than an attachment - some folks are wary of them.

The unit vectors are just like regular vectors. You simply multiply the scalars which gives you the magnitude and then dot/cross the unit vectors (whichever applies).

I believe that a_rho, a_phi, z are analogous to [itex]\mathbf{i},\mathbf{j},\mathbf{k}[/itex], but don't quote me on that.

If you cross them from 'left to right' (i.e. i x j , j x k, x i) you get the positive 'next one' (i.e. k, i, j , respecively); if you cross them 'right to left' you get the negative 'next one.'

Example:

[tex]5\mathbf{i}\times6\mathbf{j}=((5)(6))(\mathbf{i}\times\mathbf{j})=30\mathbf{k}[/tex]

And

[tex]3\mathbf{k}\times2\mathbf{j}=((3)(2))(\mathbf{k}\times\mathbf{j})=6(-\mathbf{i})=-6\mathbf{i}[/tex]Assuming that [itex]a_\rho,a_\phi,z[/itex] form a right-handed coordinate system, you can simply replace:

[itex]a_\rho=\mathbf{i}[/itex]
[itex]a_\phi=\mathbf{j}[/itex]
[itex]z=\mathbf{k}[/itex]

in the preceding examples.

Last edited:
Is your co-ordinate system a Cartesian one - ie are the 3 axes at 90 degrees to each other, as in the usual convention of x, y and z axes?

The reason I ask is because the subscripts in your question, namely rho and phi, are more commonly used with curvilinear co-ordinate systems (these are co-ordinate systems that change as you travel along the curve under investigation).

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to each point in space.

2. What are some real-world applications of Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to describe and analyze physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force in three-dimensional space.

3. What are the basic operations in Vector Calculus?

The basic operations in Vector Calculus include vector addition, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and differentiation and integration of vector fields.

4. How is Vector Calculus related to other branches of mathematics?

Vector Calculus is closely related to linear algebra, as vectors are used to represent points and objects in space. It also has applications in multivariable calculus, as well as differential equations and physics.

5. What are some tips for solving Vector Calculus problems?

Some tips for solving Vector Calculus problems include understanding the geometric interpretation of vectors, using visual aids and diagrams, and practicing with a variety of problems to develop problem-solving skills.