Inequalities and absolute value

In summary, the first equation x^5 > x^2 can be factored to x^2(x-1)(x^2+x+1) > 0 and the solution can be found by graphing the intervals where the graph crosses the x-axis. The second equation 7| x + 2 | + 5 > 4 is always true for any real value of x. The third equation 3 - | 2x + 4 | <= 1 has two solutions, x = -1 or x <= -3, and the solution can be expressed as a union of intervals.
highcontrast

Homework Statement

1) x^5 > x^2
2) 7| x + 2 | + 5 > 4
3) 3 - | 2x + 4 | <= 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
x5 - x2 > 0
x2(x3 - 1) > 0
x2(x - 1)(x2 + x + 1) > 0
Im not too sure what to do next. I can't factor it any further, at least I don't think so. Which leads me to ask how exactly am I suppose to find the numbers to check what the solution is?

2)

7| x + 2 | + 5 > 4
7| x + 2 | > -1
|x + 2 | > -1/7
Can this be correct? The absolute value must always equal 0, or a positive number, right? How would I go about solving this? Or should I say the solutions do not exist?

3)
3 - | 2x + 4 | <= 1
- | 2x + 4 | <= -2
| 2x + 4 | => 2
2x + 4 => 2
2x => -2
x => -1
or
2x + 4 <= -2
2x <= -6
x <= -3
is this the right answer?

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1), now that you've factored it, find where the graph crosses the x-axis to get some intervals between those points. Each interval will be either above or below the x-axis.

[Edit] I must have thought the the inequality sign for 2) was the other way...
The absolute value of a real number is always ≥0, so |x + 2| > -1/7 is always true, for any real x.

3 seems correct.

Last edited:
When at |x + 2 | > -1/7, recall that this is an inequality, not an equation, it doesn't say that |x+2| is less than 0, it says that it is greater than -1/7. No value for x would make this untrue, so x can be any real number.

x5 - x2 > 0
x2(x3 - 1) > 0
x2(x - 1)(x2 + x + 1) > 0

Solving an inequality would mean to express the solution as a union of intervals. In this case, which values of x will result in a value greater than 0 when plugged into the inequality.

Pagan Harpoon said:
When at |x + 2 | > -1/7, recall that this is an inequality, not an equation, it doesn't say that |x+2| is less than 0, it says that it is greater than -1/7. No value for x would make this untrue, so x can be any real number.

So, I should go about solving the equation then?

Such as,

x + 2 > -1/7
x > -1/7 - 2
x > -15/7
or
x + 2 < 1/7
x < -13/7

It seems these answers conflict, though. How can x be greater than -15/7, and less than
-13/7.

I'm rather confused about absolute value because they have drilled it into my head that they always must be positive, or 0. So, when I saw an absolute inequality with it saying > -1/7, I assumed that the absolute value, while greater than 1/7, was still a negative. Does this mean in the cases of absolute values and inequalities, it doesn't matter if there is a negative value after one of the <,> signs?

Thanks Again

Last edited:
Think of an absolute value as a distance in that a distance is going to be positive. The statement is true because since you know |x + 2| is always positive, you know |x + 2| is greater than -1/7 no matter what value of x you plug in. Remember it is not an equation, so it even if it said |x + 2| > -100,000 it would still be true.

I understand. Was the posted solution to that question correct? The answers left me confused.

Don't think of plugging those values of x into |x + 2 | > -1/7. You're trying to find out which values of x make this statement true: 7| x + 2 | + 5 > 4. Try plugging your solution into the inequality for x and then seeing if that proves true.

I plugged them, and they work. I was just concerned because the textbook asks for me to solve the question also in a graph form.

Since you are confused that the answers seem to overlap, think about what that means. It means that all real numbers are included.

That makes sense!
Thanks for your help.

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities and states that one quantity is less than, greater than, or not equal to the other.

2. How do you graph an inequality?

To graph an inequality, first treat the inequality sign as an equal sign and graph the corresponding line. Then, depending on the inequality sign (<, >, ≤, ≥), shade the region above or below the line to represent the solution set.

3. What is absolute value?

Absolute value is the distance a number is from zero on a number line. It is represented by two vertical bars around a number, and it is always positive.

4. How do you solve an absolute value inequality?

To solve an absolute value inequality, first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality. Then, write two separate inequalities - one with the positive value of the absolute value expression and one with the negative value. Solve both inequalities and combine the solutions to find the final solution set.

5. How are inequalities and absolute value used in real life?

Inequalities and absolute value are used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the minimum and maximum values of a function, finding the range of possible values for a certain measurement, and determining the conditions for a system to work properly. They are also used in economics, statistics, and other fields to analyze data and make predictions.