Family of Curves: Writing an Integral as a Summation

• Thread starter lilcoley23@ho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to represent the area under a family of curves using both an integral and a summation. The speaker is confused about how to write the integral as a summation and is seeking help to understand the relationship between the two representations. The parameters n and p are fixed, and the summation and integral both represent the area under the curve.
lilcoley23@ho
f I consider the area of the family of curves as y = (1 - x^1/p)^n where x is greater than or equal to zero but less than or equal to one, I can write that in as integral as

the integral from 0 to 1 of (1 - x^1/p)^n dx but I'm not sure how to write that as a summation, which I have been trying to do. I know the summation looks like:

summation from k=0 to n ((-1)^k (n k) p/(p+k))

Can you please help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused (although it looks like to me you are confused) as to what your summation is supposed to represent.

First you talk about a family of curves. What is the parameter defining the family (n or p)?

The you talk about an integral over x, but p and n seem to be fixed.

Finally what are you using the sum for? Are you representing the integral as a sum? It doesn't look like that at all.

My summation as well as the integral is supposed to represent the area under the curve.

n and p are just positive integers. I need to figure out how the area under the curve can be written as the integral equal to the summation.

The area under what curve? You have, as you said, a family of curves and each curve in that family has a different area. Certainly, summing over n will NOT give you the area under any curve.

What is a family of curves?

A family of curves is a set of curves that share a common equation or property. Each curve in the family may have different specific values, but they all follow the same general pattern.

Why is it useful to write an integral as a summation?

Writing an integral as a summation allows us to break down a complex function into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make it easier to solve or analyze the function.

How do you write an integral as a summation?

To write an integral as a summation, you need to first determine the limits of integration and the function that will be integrated. Then, you can use the summation notation to represent the integral, with the function inside the summation and the limits of integration as the starting and ending points.

What are some real-life applications of using a family of curves and writing an integral as a summation?

A family of curves and writing an integral as a summation have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as the motion of a projectile or the behavior of a stock market.

Are there any limitations to using a family of curves and writing an integral as a summation?

One limitation is that not all functions can be easily written as a summation. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the number of terms used in the summation. It is important to carefully consider the function and the desired level of precision when using this method.