What is the total force exerted by two charges on a point charge at the origin?

In summary, the problem involves two point charges, q1 and q2, placed on the x-axis with a negative point charge, q3, at the origin. The question asks for the total force exerted by q1 and q2 on q3, using Coulomb's Law and the permittivity of free space. The solution involves finding the electric field at the origin from q1 and q2 and then using F = q3 * E to calculate the force. A "Check your signs error" may occur due to the direction of the forces, with q2's force being subtracted from q1's force.
bphysics

Homework Statement

Two point charges are placed on the x-axis as follows: one positive charge, q1, is located to the right of the origin at x= x1, and a second positive charge, q2, is located to the left of the origin at x= x2.

What is the total force (magnitude and direction) exerted by these two charges on a negative point charge, q3, that is placed at the origin? Use [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] for the permittivity of free space. Take positive forces to be along the positive x-axis. Do not use unit vectors.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law: F = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{\left|q_{1}q_{2}\right|}{r^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3753/equationu.jpg

MasteringPhysics keeps giving me a "Check your signs error". Yet, as far as I can tell, I should be subtracting the force which is going left / the negative direction (ie, q2) from the force going to the right (ie, q1).

Any hints?

Attachments

• equation.JPG
    equation.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 406
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My apologizes if the "attempt at a solution" section appeared blank for anyone -- I have changed the link so that users who are not logged in can now see the link.

u can find the electric field at the origin from the charge q1 and q2 and then u can find the force using F= q3 * E .. try this one, I hope it will work

What is the force exerted by two charges?

The force exerted by two charges is known as Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you calculate the force exerted by two charges?

The force exerted by two charges can be calculated using the formula F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between them.

What is the direction of the force exerted by two charges?

The direction of the force exerted by two charges is along the line connecting the two charges. If both charges are positive or negative, the force will be repulsive, but if one charge is positive and the other is negative, the force will be attractive.

What is the unit of force exerted by two charges?

The unit of force exerted by two charges is Newtons (N) in the SI system of units. In the CGS system of units, the unit of force is dynes (dyne = 10^-5 N).

How does the distance between two charges affect the force exerted?

The distance between two charges is inversely proportional to the force exerted. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. In other words, the force exerted by two charges decreases with distance.