Arc length of vector function curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a curve and reparametrizing it with respect to arc length. The first step is to take the definite integral of the absolute value of the derivative of the curve. The second step involves using trigonometric inequalities to simplify the integral. The importance of using the absolute value is also highlighted.
hadroneater

Homework Statement

1. Find the length of the curve from t=0 to t=1.
r(t) = <2t, t^2, (1/3)t^3>

2. Reparametrize the curve with respect to arc length measured from the point where t=0 in the direction of increasing t.
r(t) = <e^(2t)cos2t, 2, e^(2t)sin2t>

Homework Equations

[tex] S = \int{r'(t)} dt [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I take the definite integral of the absolute value of r'(t).

r'(t) = <2, 2t, t^2>
S = integral[sqrt(4 + 4t^2 + t^4)dt] from [0,1]
This is a pretty complicated integral to solve. It's not that I can't solve it but I think I'm doing something wrong because this is only the second practice question of the section so I don't think it should be that complicated. Our prof has only show us the case for a helix, so the sine and cosine simplify to some number with no "t" terms in the integrand.

2. Basically, the same problem as number 1. I need to use the arc length function to find s in term of t. But I'm having trouble evaluating the integral for the arc length.
r'(t) becomes a pretty complicated function by itself but when you square the components, square root them and then take the integral of that from [0, t], it becomes very messy. I don't think I can solve this one. So again, I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong conceptually.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
note that (t^2+2)^2 = ...

for the 2nd, consider some trig inequalities to simpilfy

note just to clarify, though its looks like you're already doing it, but you need the absolute value to show you're intergating a scalar function:
[tex] s = \int |r'(t)|dt [/tex]

Alright, I guess I was too tired. I didn't realize the obvious factor for the 1st question. And the 2nd question isn't hard to integrate at all.

Thanks.

1. What is the definition of arc length of a vector function curve?

The arc length of a vector function curve is the distance along the curve that a point travels, starting from a specific point and ending at another point. It is a measure of the length of the curve and is usually denoted by the symbol "s".

2. How is the arc length of a vector function curve calculated?

The arc length of a vector function curve is calculated using the integral of the magnitude of the vector function's derivative. This can be represented mathematically as s = ∫ab ||r'(t)|| dt, where a and b are the starting and ending points of the curve, and r'(t) is the derivative of the vector function r(t).

3. What is the significance of arc length in vector function curves?

The arc length of a vector function curve is an important measure in many areas of science and engineering. It is used to calculate distances, velocities, and accelerations along a curve, which can be useful in understanding the behavior of objects moving along a path or trajectory.

4. Can the arc length of a vector function curve be negative?

No, the arc length of a vector function curve is always a positive value. This is because it represents a distance traveled, which cannot be negative. If the curve overlaps itself or goes in opposite directions, the arc length can be calculated by breaking it into smaller segments and summing their individual lengths.

5. Are there any applications of the arc length of vector function curves in real life?

Yes, the arc length of vector function curves has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it can be used to calculate the distance traveled by a moving object, the length of a wire or cable, or the curvature of a road or track. It is also used in computer programs to create smooth animations and graphics.