Rank & Kernel of A: Solving Linear Equations

In summary, using a basis for the kernel of A and verifying that these basis vectors are indeed linearly independent, theAttempt at a Solution found two vectors in the nullspace that span it.
tomeatworld

Homework Statement

Let A=[{1,3,2,2},{1,1,0,-2},{0,1,1,2}]
i) Find the rank
ii) Viewing A as a linear map from M4x1 to M3x1, find a basis for the kernel of A and verify directly that these basis vectors are indeed linearly independent.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

i) is easy enough. Reduce rows to get: A=[{1,3,2,2},{0,1,1,2},{0,0,0,0}] so rank is 2.
ii) I'm not exactly sure of the question here. At first, I thought it was just find the kernel of the matrix and I had some trouble with that. Using the reduced matrix:
x1 + 3x2 + 2x3 + 2x4 = 0
and
x2 + x3 + 2x4 = 0
but how do I solve this for 4 variables with only 2 equations :/ Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply the vector by the original matrix, not the reduced row form. You get a pretty comfy vector.

How so?

If your vector is {x,y,z,w} then you should get the equations
w=(x+y)/2
z= -x-2y
So that's actually two vectors that you will get. If you don't know how to turn those equations into vectors i recomened you go here http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/LinAlg.aspx and read up a bit.

tomeatworld said:

Homework Statement

Let A=[{1,3,2,2},{1,1,0,-2},{0,1,1,2}]
i) Find the rank
ii) Viewing A as a linear map from M4x1 to M3x1, find a basis for the kernel of A and verify directly that these basis vectors are indeed linearly independent.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

i) is easy enough. Reduce rows to get: A=[{1,3,2,2},{0,1,1,2},{0,0,0,0}] so rank is 2.
ii) I'm not exactly sure of the question here. At first, I thought it was just find the kernel of the matrix and I had some trouble with that. Using the reduced matrix:
x1 + 3x2 + 2x3 + 2x4 = 0
and
x2 + x3 + 2x4 = 0
but how do I solve this for 4 variables with only 2 equations :/ Any help is appreciated!
Work with your matrix to get it in reduced row echelon form. In this form all entries above or below a leading 1 entry are zero. Since your matrix looks like this:
1 3 2 2
0 1 1 2

it's not in reduced row echelon form.

After getting to this form use the first row to write an equation that has x1 in terms of x3 and x4. Use the second row to write an equation that has x2 in terms of x3 and x4. The last two equations are simply x3 = x3 and x4 = x4. This will show two vectors that span the nullspace.

Ah of course. So you'd get:

1 0 -1 -4
0 1 1 2

so you end with the two vectors: {(1,0,-1,-4),(0,1,1,2)} which are the basis for the kernel. Sound good?

No, that's not it. The rows don't make a basis for the kernel.

The matrix you have represents the equation Ax = 0, where the first two rows of A are as you show.

Solve for x1 in the first row (equation) and for x2 in the second row (equation) to get the following.
x1 = x3 + x4
x2 = -x3 - 2x4

If you add equations for x3 and x4, you get the following system.

x1 = x3 + x4
x2 = -x3 - 2x4
x3 = x3
x4 = ...... x4

Every vector in the nullspace is a linear combination of two vectors that are lurking in the system above.

What is the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. This can also be described as the number of pivot positions in the matrix after it has been reduced to row-echelon form.

How do you calculate the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix can be calculated by performing row operations to reduce the matrix to row-echelon form, and then counting the number of non-zero rows. Alternatively, the rank can also be found by counting the number of linearly independent columns in the matrix.

What is the kernel of a matrix?

The kernel of a matrix is the set of all solutions to the equation Ax = 0, where A is the matrix and x is a vector. In other words, the kernel is the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the matrix A.

How do you find the kernel of a matrix?

The kernel of a matrix can be found by solving the equation Ax = 0 using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or finding the null space of the matrix. The resulting solutions will be the vectors in the kernel of the matrix.

What is the relationship between the rank and kernel of a matrix?

The rank and kernel of a matrix are related by the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the rank of a matrix plus the dimension of its kernel will always equal the number of columns in the matrix. In other words, the rank and kernel are complementary and dependent on each other.