Swinburne online astronomy degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the credibility and reputation of the Swinburne online astronomy master's degree program and its potential for PhD entrance. The website for the program is provided, and it is mentioned that in the US, a master's degree is not a prerequisite for a PhD. The person expressing interest in the program also discusses their grades and how a part-time degree while working full-time may be beneficial. The conversation ends with the suggestion to look out for Commonwealth scholarships.
planethunter
Hello everyone. I want to know if anybody has heard good things about the Swinburne online astronomy master’s degree program. Is this a respectable program for PhD entrance committees here in the US or abroad? Due to my schedule, an online master’s degree program in astronomy would really work out for me. I am hesitant though because I want to continue to the PhD and want to make sure that this program at Swinburne is a respectable one.

Here is the website for the program: http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the US, a masters is not a prerequistite for the PhD.

Agreed. But my grades are not good enough to get into a PhD program (plus my ug degree is in math), so I want to do well in a masters program to increase my chances of getting in a phd program

I see. You weren't serious enough to get good grades in the first place, and you aren't serious enough to devote the effort into getting a MS by going full-time. But you expect a school to offer you a place in a PhD program.

I think you are going to have a very, very difficult time.

Getting a part-time degree while holding down a full-time job seems pretty impressive to me. The UK tends to look benignly on part-time students, maybe because the the Open University is held in high regard. So look out for Commonwealth scholarships!

mal4mac said:
Getting a part-time degree while holding down a full-time job seems pretty impressive to me.

Yes, but universities expect their graduate students to be holding down a full-time job - working for them.

What is Swinburne online astronomy degree?

Swinburne online astronomy degree is a fully accredited program offered by Swinburne University of Technology in Australia. It is a distance learning program that allows students to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Astronomy through online courses and virtual labs.

What are the admission requirements for Swinburne online astronomy degree?

The admission requirements for Swinburne online astronomy degree include a high school diploma or equivalent, English language proficiency, and completion of prerequisite courses in mathematics and science. A strong interest in astronomy and a passion for learning are also important qualities for success in the program.

What courses are included in the Swinburne online astronomy degree program?

The Swinburne online astronomy degree program includes courses in astrophysics, planetary science, cosmology, and observational astronomy. Students will also take courses in mathematics, physics, and computer science to provide a strong foundation in scientific principles and analytical skills.

What career opportunities are available with a Swinburne online astronomy degree?

Graduates of the Swinburne online astronomy degree program can pursue careers in research, education, and industry. They may work as astronomers, data analysts, science communicators, or educators in various organizations such as universities, observatories, government agencies, or private companies.

Is the Swinburne online astronomy degree program accredited?

Yes, the Swinburne online astronomy degree program is fully accredited by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) in Australia. This means that the program meets rigorous academic standards and is recognized by other universities and employers around the world.