Dynamical Neuroscience: Wiki Article Entry - Input Needed

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neuroscience
In summary, the article seems to be oriented toward ANN-based AI, and does not have much relevance to dynamical neuroscience. I recommend that it be merged with another article on dynamical systems and completely rewritten.
apeiron said:
And there are no surprises in Damasio's talk - except where he says the optic nerve apparently exits throught the foveal pit. :smile:
You are a stickler for the smallest slip or detail, aperion, I imagine Damasio would not like to work for you. :wink:

Rhody...

Biology news on Phys.org
atyy said:
chaos, stable chaos, or transient chaos[/B] (Pythagorean, did I get your attention :smile:).

The interesting thing I read in the abstract of that paper, just in general (ignoring for a moment the brain and "focusing" on the whole universe) is that irregularity can arise from a system that is not either chaotic or stochastic. (you had me at "free!").

atyy said:
I'd be interested to know what you think of Holland and Goodman's proposal.

Thanks atty, concerning the topic of "self", I scanned sections of Holland's and Goodman's proposal. I think this section pretty much sums it up, my interpretation, from page 14. In 1999, Damasio proposed a neurologically based theory of consciousness, summarized by Churchland in 2002 in a paper examining self-representation in nervous systems:

...that the self/nonself distinction, originally designed to support coherencing, it ultimately responsible for consciousness. Simply put, a brain whose wiring enables it to distinguish between inner-world and outer-world representations and to build a metarepresentational model of the relation between out and and inner entities is a brain enjoying some degree of consciousness.

Essentially that the self-representation's relations to representation of things in the world lead's to consciousness.

I like efficient, pithy language to describe human consciousness, and the concept of "self". Whether or not this theory lives up to testable/repeatable experiment(s) is another matter. I for one would like to see a "test for consciousness" and "test for self" created. It may not be possible, because it challenges my notion of what is possible, and that cannot be a bad thing.

P.S. I am listening to Patricia Churchland's talk now...

Rhody...

Last edited:
atty,

Thanks for The Science Network link, circa 2009. Churchland's talk was interesting as was the follow on speaker's. A whole new sandbox of characters to consider, I loved the hosts comment's at one point during question and answer, "Another addition to our mound of bafflement's". Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I did learn one thing, the thought process into what attributes that collectively contribute to what we recognize as "consciousness" is farther outside of the box by these researcher's than I ever imagined.

Example, a certain species of fly sleeps, and has been shown to twitch it's lower legs during sleep. The implication here is that REM sleep is necessary for consciousness and that this species of fly shares that with human's. Suggesting that REM sleep and insect leg twitching are somehow related. I would say that is outside the box, wouldn't you ? :wink:

Rhody...

Last edited:
rhody, my own view is that consciousness is essentially solved - I'll buy the Damasio, and Holland and Goodman approach. Maybe high tc superconductivity is more mysterious. :smile:

I would like to know how I am a strange loop fits in though. It seems closely related, but I am not sure whether inifinity is needed - perhaps as some sort of limit, analogous to phase transitions in which the thermodynamic limit exists in theory, but not exactly in real life - or the reflections in a pair of mirrors where true infinity is spoilt by atomic structure.

Last edited:
A Good Grounding paper:

The Complex Systems Approach: Rhetoric or Revolution
Chris Eliasmith
Department of Philosophy, University of Waterloo
Received 4 February 2011; accepted 14 February 2011

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1756-8765.2011.01169.x/pdf

atyy said:
rhody, my own view is that consciousness is essentially solved - I'll buy the Damasio, and Holland and Goodman approach.

Would you mind posting some references and your own summary of the solution? Due next Friday. : )

Pythagorean said:
Would you mind posting some references and your own summary of the solution? Due next Friday. : )

Cute Pythagorean, I like it.

Rhody... :tongue:

Hello All,
I am a newbie here--happened to be passing through and got interested. Apologies in advance if this is not the right venue for this question, but I was struck by the claim that the problem of consciousness is solved. Do you distinguish between the question of how self-representation is achieved by the brain, and the question of how actual conscious experience ("qualia", if you like) arises out of brain function?
Thanks

Good lord, do people have no sense of humour?

atyy said:
Good lord, do people have no sense of humour?

You mean that watery fluid in the eye between the lens and the cornea?

I don't really have a sense for it, but I memorized the humorism table

4_body_fluids.PNG

OK extremely embarrassed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Consciousness

rhody said:
atty,

Example, a certain species of fly sleeps, and has been shown to twitch it's lower legs during sleep. The implication here is that REM sleep is necessary for consciousness and that this species of fly shares that with human's. Suggesting that REM sleep and insect leg twitching are somehow related. I would say that is outside the box, wouldn't you ?

Rhody...

The implication makes at least two, perhaps three assumptions. Further, the use of the word consciousness in this discussion as if there was only one kind and of one degree is unwarranted.

<h2>1. What is dynamical neuroscience?</h2><p>Dynamical neuroscience is a field of study that combines principles from neuroscience and dynamical systems theory to understand the complex dynamics of the brain and the nervous system. It seeks to explain how the brain processes information and generates behavior through the interactions of neurons and neural networks.</p><h2>2. What are the key concepts in dynamical neuroscience?</h2><p>The key concepts in dynamical neuroscience include nonlinear dynamics, emergence, self-organization, and complex systems. Nonlinear dynamics refers to the study of systems that exhibit behavior that cannot be explained by simple linear relationships. Emergence refers to the phenomenon where complex behaviors and properties arise from the interactions of simpler components. Self-organization refers to the ability of systems to spontaneously organize and adapt to changing conditions. Complex systems refer to systems that have many interacting components and exhibit emergent behavior.</p><h2>3. How is dynamical neuroscience different from traditional neuroscience?</h2><p>Traditional neuroscience focuses on understanding the brain through reductionist approaches, breaking it down into smaller components and studying them in isolation. Dynamical neuroscience, on the other hand, takes a holistic approach and studies the brain as a complex system, emphasizing the interactions between different components and how they give rise to emergent behaviors.</p><h2>4. What are some applications of dynamical neuroscience?</h2><p>Dynamical neuroscience has many applications, including understanding brain disorders such as epilepsy and Parkinson's disease, developing brain-computer interfaces, and improving our understanding of consciousness and cognition. It also has potential applications in artificial intelligence and robotics, as it provides insights into how complex systems can learn and adapt to their environment.</p><h2>5. How does dynamical neuroscience contribute to our understanding of the brain?</h2><p>Dynamical neuroscience offers a new perspective on how the brain works by emphasizing the importance of nonlinear dynamics and complex systems. It helps us understand how the brain processes information, generates behavior, and adapts to changing environments. It also provides a framework for studying the brain as a dynamic and adaptive system, rather than a static and fixed entity.</p>

1. What is dynamical neuroscience?

Dynamical neuroscience is a field of study that combines principles from neuroscience and dynamical systems theory to understand the complex dynamics of the brain and the nervous system. It seeks to explain how the brain processes information and generates behavior through the interactions of neurons and neural networks.

2. What are the key concepts in dynamical neuroscience?

The key concepts in dynamical neuroscience include nonlinear dynamics, emergence, self-organization, and complex systems. Nonlinear dynamics refers to the study of systems that exhibit behavior that cannot be explained by simple linear relationships. Emergence refers to the phenomenon where complex behaviors and properties arise from the interactions of simpler components. Self-organization refers to the ability of systems to spontaneously organize and adapt to changing conditions. Complex systems refer to systems that have many interacting components and exhibit emergent behavior.

3. How is dynamical neuroscience different from traditional neuroscience?

Traditional neuroscience focuses on understanding the brain through reductionist approaches, breaking it down into smaller components and studying them in isolation. Dynamical neuroscience, on the other hand, takes a holistic approach and studies the brain as a complex system, emphasizing the interactions between different components and how they give rise to emergent behaviors.

4. What are some applications of dynamical neuroscience?

Dynamical neuroscience has many applications, including understanding brain disorders such as epilepsy and Parkinson's disease, developing brain-computer interfaces, and improving our understanding of consciousness and cognition. It also has potential applications in artificial intelligence and robotics, as it provides insights into how complex systems can learn and adapt to their environment.

5. How does dynamical neuroscience contribute to our understanding of the brain?

Dynamical neuroscience offers a new perspective on how the brain works by emphasizing the importance of nonlinear dynamics and complex systems. It helps us understand how the brain processes information, generates behavior, and adapts to changing environments. It also provides a framework for studying the brain as a dynamic and adaptive system, rather than a static and fixed entity.