Calculating Undamped Natural Frequency of a Cantilever Beam

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in determining the undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam. They provide data and equations they have attempted to use, but are unsure if they are correct. They are looking for guidance on where they may have gone wrong.
hwt

Homework Statement

Hi.

I'm trying to work out the undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam. The setup of the system is shown in the image below.

[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/56901717@N03/5249378659/[/URL]

Data:(all lengths measured from the hinge on the left of the beam)
Beam: m=1.946 kg, L=L1=815mm
Spring: m=0.134 kg, at length L3=815mm
Motor block: m=5.250 kg at L4=264mm

4 blocks of 50g mounted on motor at e=32mm from centre of rotation.
k=430 N/m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We began by finding the experimental undamped frequency from our plot from the oscilloscope.

F=1/T this gave a result of 2.74Hz = 0.437 rad/s

I then use the summation of moments about the hinge (say point O) to find an equation for natural frequency:

[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/56901717@N03/5250100964/in/photostream/[/URL]

My problem comes when calculating moment of inertia, Io:

I have tried using the equation:

Io = (mL^2)/12 + mL^2

However I don't think this is right as I get
omega = 7.0806 which is much much higher than my initial value.

Could someone please indicate where I am going wrong so I can have another attempt at this!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't use the in built formula editor too well so a knocked up the formula in word and saved it as an image. I think you may just have to right click on the image and copy the URL to see them!

Thanks for your help

1. What is the undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam?

The undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam refers to the frequency at which the beam will vibrate freely without any external forces acting on it. It is dependent on the material properties and geometry of the beam.

2. How is the undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam calculated?

The undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam can be calculated using the formula f = (1/2π) * √(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the stiffness of the beam, and m is the mass of the beam.

3. What is the significance of calculating the undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam?

Calculating the undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam is important for determining the structural integrity and stability of the beam. It can also help in predicting potential resonant frequencies and avoiding destructive vibrations.

4. What factors can affect the undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam?

The undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam can be affected by the material properties of the beam, such as density and Young's modulus, as well as the geometry of the beam, including length, width, and thickness.

5. How can the undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam be adjusted?

The undamped natural frequency of a cantilever beam can be adjusted by changing the material properties or geometry of the beam, such as by altering the dimensions or using a different material with different stiffness properties.