Craft Beers, Microbreweries and Homebrewing

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, Bell's Brewery is a good brewery. Some American beers are brewed with top or bottom yeasts, but ultimately it depends on the style.
Insanity said:
Qapla'

The brewing is done.

The paradise seeds defnitely come through, but not overwhelming, primarily in the aftertaste. I think its a good balance.

Used what Saaz and Hallertau hops I had, not as prominent bitterness as the first koslch I made, but the paradise seeds make the rest I think. Can tell more once it ferments through.

My final specific gravity was a bit lower then I wanted, but I think my volume was a bit more too.

Chamomile aroma barely detectable, and the rosehips did add a slight reddish color.

Here is a picture of before and after spices added to boil, but no fermentation.

On the left is the before, on the right is after. Not the best quality though.
[PLAIN]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4074/imag0068m.jpg[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm... nice, it has a good golden look to it... I like the opaque quality from the spicing.

May it ferment well! I think you'll find the grains of paradise will add a light peppery flavor along with some more complex fruit elements. I can't imagine it not going well with your brew as advertised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nismaratwork said:
Hmmmm... nice, it has a good golden look to it... I like the opaque quality from the spicing.

May it ferment well! I think you'll find the grains of paradise will add a light peppery flavor along with some more complex fruit elements. I can't imagine it not going well with your brew as advertised.

The opacity is from the wheat used, it gives a cloudiness to the beer. One way to tell if there is wheat in a beer, the more wheat used, the cloudier it is. The paradise seeds definitely give a little peppery flavor, but not excessive.

Insanity said:
The opacity is from the wheat used, it gives a cloudiness to the beer. One way to tell if there is wheat in a beer, the more wheat used, the cloudier it is. The paradise seeds definitely give a little peppery flavor, but not excessive.

Mmmm... I loooooooooooo...
...oooooooooove...
... Hefeweizen of all kinds. It's like drinking bread, what could be better?! I love it with spice or citrus too, really a great choice for GoP man. Why doesn't the internet have a taste-testing function yet damn it!?

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/03/29/pm-beer-giant-buys-craft-brewery/
Anheuser-Busch will expand Goose Island, a Chicago craft brewery, but also try to keep its identity. :yuck:

At a local beer distributor, they have a large selection of craft and imported beers. There is one section listed as: Economy Beer - for the mass produced domestic market. :yuck: (Miller-Coors, Anheuser-Busch).

Anyway, I bought a selection of Porters and Stouts this past weekend.

I've tried a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - but is tasted like their Guinness Stout for the US market.

Sierra Nevada's Porter is kind of hoppy.
http://www.halftimebeverage.com/browse.cfm/sierra-nevada-porter/4,196.html

Alhambra Negra (from Southern Spain) reminds me of Negra Modelo, kind of sweet, not too hoppy.
http://www.halftimebeverage.com/browse.cfm/alhambra-negra/4,1364.html

Dragon Stout from Jamaica comes in 9.6 oz bottles.
http://www.halftimebeverage.com/browse.cfm/dragon-stout-4-6/4,2197.html

For a non-alcoholic beverage, I like Goya's Ginger Beer. During the spring and summer, I often drink 50/50 Goya Ginger Beer and V8 Splash Tropical Blend.

Astronuc said:
Dragon Stout from Jamaica comes in 9.6 oz bottles.
http://www.halftimebeverage.com/browse.cfm/dragon-stout-4-6/4,2197.html

9.6 oz? Dang. I'd drink a 6 pack just to get my appetite ready for dinner. :biggrin:

During the spring and summer, I often drink 50/50 Goya Ginger Beer and V8 Splash Tropical Blend.

I'm like you in that I think. i.e. not drinking alcohol when it's hot during the summer. I much prefer beer drinking in the winter.

I was considering looking into making a Kvass this spring/early summer.

Code:
[PLAIN]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass
[/PLAIN]

Believe I saw it on Bizzare Foods, where it was mentioned its serve frequently in the warmer months, just how in USA we have ice cream stands, in Russia there are Kvass stands.

Very low ABV, so kids are allowed to drink it as well.

Just recently had Anchor's Steam beer, a beer made with lager yeast, but at ale temps. Believe it is one of the few commercially available examples of the california common. Quite good, very good head retention, several minutes upwards to 10 almost.

Also had Paulaner Salvator, a doppelbock, brewed by friars of the order of Saint Francis of Paola. Very smooth, but toasty taste to it, little hops flavor.

A new draft house has just opened in Bangor. They aren't selling food yet, but are well-stocked with hard-to-get and specialty beers.

http://www.wabi.tv/news/19482/new-draft-house-opens-in-bangor

Just started my first homebrew yesterday. 5 gallons of Autumn Amber Ale. :biggrin:

redpenguin said:
Just started my first homebrew yesterday. 5 gallons of Autumn Amber Ale. :biggrin:

Oh that's great.

I've been so busy with a family situation that I haven't been able to get my first home brew going.

Keep us posted how it's turning out.

Regards

May 7th is Big Brew day, my brewing club is doing a brewing event at a local brewery, wouldn't be surprised if others elsewhere are too, keep yer senses alert.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. I think I might do a Nobel Trappist Ale or a Liberty Creme Ale for my second batch. The 4th of July is not too far off. :)

My Autumn Amber Ale had an initial specific gravity of 1.046. Great smells are starting to come from the airlock.

redpenguin said:
I'll definitely keep you guys posted. I think I might do a Nobel Trappist Ale or a Liberty Creme Ale for my second batch. The 4th of July is not too far off. :)

My Autumn Amber Ale had an initial specific gravity of 1.046. Great smells are starting to come from the airlock.

Likely finish at 1.010 or so?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been hearing. It starts to level out at around 1.010-1.011. I'll probably take a reading in 11-12 days then another a couple days later. I can see a good layer of krausen so no reason to be impatient at this point. Just hoping for no contamination on my first batch.

I have pics.. just need to be resized. I'll share some when I get the time.
Cheers folks.

One question though.. Should I get another bucket for a secondary or should I get a glass carboy?

I prefer glass carboys, but know people who use buckets without problems.

I use bleach water to sanitize, which will eventually pit the surfaces of plastic, leaving microholes for bacteria to hide in and be safe from sanitizers.

Attenuation is the fermentation percentage for yeast. Most are around 70-75%, which means that much of the original gravity gets fermented. So out of 1.046; 46*.75=34.5, and the final would be 1.046-.0345=~ 1.0115

You can figure this out for each strain if you measure the original and final gravities.

Some Belgium strains are very high, 80-85%.

I just got back from filling my growlers. In the past I've gotten them filled with Wheat State Golden, but today I had one filled with Ad Astra Ale.

This ale is the first brewed in Kansas since pioneering days. The name "Ad Astra comes from the Kansas State Motto - Ad Astra per Aspera, Latin words meaning "To the Stars through Difficulties". We've blended Pale, Caramel, and Munich malts for a rich amber beer. The hops balance this malty sweetness, and we've chosen Northern brewer and Fuggles hops for their flavor.

http://freestatebrewing.com/beer"

It's really tasty and seems to have a higher alcohol content, as I'm feeling it more :smile:, but not the nice "yeast" aftertaste that the wheat beer does.

The next time I get them refilled, I going to try their Wheat Thresher IPA.

This reddish hued IPA owes its slightly sweet, bready character to a prodigious use of wheat malt. This is countered with a load of Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe hops, for a pronounced hop punch.

dlgoff said:
I just got back from filling my growlers. In the past I've gotten them filled with Wheat State Golden, but today I had one filled with Ad Astra Ale.

http://freestatebrewing.com/beer"

It's really tasty and seems to have a higher alcohol content, as I'm feeling it more :smile:, but not the nice "yeast" aftertaste that the wheat beer does.

The next time I get them refilled, I going to try their Wheat Thresher IPA.
I need a trip to Lawrence for the Oatmeal Stout and Imperial Black IPA.

Astronuc said:
I need a trip to Lawrence for the Oatmeal Stout and Imperial Black IPA.

I like the wheat so much, it's hard to want to try the others. However in time, I want to try them all.

If you are ever in Lawrence, let me know. Beer on me. :smile:

My wife brought home a little surprise for me after shopping tonight. A variety pack of Peak Organic Brewing Company's brews. 3 each of IPA, nut brown ale, pale ale, and a special brewer's choice, made with locally-available ingredients. The bottles are chilling now. Reports are forthcoming. ;-)

http://www.peakbrewing.com/ They have a LOT of varieties. Now, I'm wishing that the sampler contained Hop Noir.

turbo-1 said:
My wife brought home a little surprise for me after shopping tonight. A variety pack of Peak Organic Brewing Company's brews. ...

You lucky dog. Having a wife like yours, that is. :approve:

Now, I'm wishing that the sampler contained Hop Noir.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the 8.2% AVB would it? :biggrin:

dlgoff said:
Wouldn't have anything to do with the 8.2% AVB would it? :biggrin:
Not really. I love stouts!

Tried three, so far. The Nut Brown Ale is OK, but not even close to the richness of the Nut Brown that Oak Pond Brewing makes. The IPA has an interesting hoppy character - not bitter, but "green" and almost citrusey. That's a pretty fair brew. The Summer Session Ale is pretty good, though understated WRT to the hops.

So far, none of the Peak Organic brews have approached the quality of the brews produced by Oak Pond, just a few miles down the road from here. The next PF beer-lover that wanders into this territory has to visit there with me and sample all the brews on-tap and wander back here with a few growlers for a BBQ. Oak Pond is REALLY micro, and their dedication to quality and consistency is impressive!

Getting ready to bottle here in a few days. I checked my specific gravity a couple days back and it was 1.016. Just waiting for stuff to settle a bit before transferring.. plus I'm short 10 bottles.. for now. :tongue:

redpenguin said:
Getting ready to bottle here in a few days. I checked my specific gravity a couple days back and it was 1.016. Just waiting for stuff to settle a bit before transferring.. plus I'm short 10 bottles.. for now. :tongue:
I know you can clear up that shortage. If you have to enlist a neighbor, don't tell him about the shortage - make it a special time. When I was brewing regularly, I'd invite people over for BBQs, spaghetti suppers, etc from time to time. Afterward, they would often rave to their friends and relatives about what a great cook I was, though after they'd had a couple of pints of my beer, I don't know if their judgement was reliable.

redpenguin said:

When did you pitch the yeast for this? It was Apr 17 when you mentioned the OG was 1.046, but I know that probably wasn't when you brewed it and all.

I am figuring the attenuation at ~65%, which seems low, I suspect you might have a few more points to drop. Back then we guesstimated the FG ~1.012. But if the gravity has been at 1.016 or so a few times, then it may be ready and have a bit of malt left.

You could do a cold crash, simply move the carboy to where it can be chilled, and most sediments will settle out quickly. I usually rack to a clean carboy, let it sit in there for 1-2 weeks and bottle from that carboy, and normally have nice clear beer.

Made my first attempt at brewing kvass tonight.

Code:
[PLAIN]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass
[/PLAIN]

Baked the rye bread myself.
Used mint branches, honey and added raisins into the carboy.

I expect that the honey will provide most of the fermentables, as I assumed the baker's yeast would consume most of what was in the bread dough during the rising.

OG: 1.017, little higher then aiming for, perhaps some sugars yet in the bread.

Well, I bottled the Autumn Amber on the 4th. FG 1.010. I think I started it on the 15th of last month (left my notebook in my car). Everything looks great, samples taste great so far. Ended up picking up a Belgian Witbier to throw in my primary for National Homebrewers Day late last night after the Paquiao fight. OG 1.042 @ 80F. Currently bubbling away with Wyeast #3944 Belgian Wit yeast as we speak.

Super excited to watch the progress on these. :biggrin:
Again, I have tons of shots.. just have to be resized to fit this forum.

Thanks for the tips insanity. I did get a little more sediment settling in the Amber Ale bottles than I'd like (nothing too overwhelming), I think next time I'll try that cold crash. How far do you usually take the temps down to do that?

If you have a freezer or fridge large enough, just above freezing should be fine. May take a few days, then rack and let it sit in the secondary for a while, then bottle. Get really clear homebrew beer, but there will still be a yeast layer in the bottles.

Yeah, my buddy actually has a smaller fridge that he offered me that would work out. One step closer to a kegging system as well. Resized some brewing photos..
Autumn Amber Ale.
Small1-3.jpg

small2-2.jpg

small3-2.jpg

small1.jpg

Small2-1.jpg

Apflewien.. 1 gallon Apple Juice, 2 cups sugar, 1 pckt Premier Cuvee. Ended up backsweetening this batch and cold killing the yeast in the freezer to stop fermentation.
small1-2.jpg

Belgian Witbier
Small3-1.jpg

Small1-1.jpg

small4-1.jpg

small5.jpg

Yep, that's a brewer's kitchen. Watch the boilovers, less your wife/spouse/significant other bans you to the outside to brew.

This thread is so cool. Thanks for sharing the photos redpenguin.

Sounds like the banning to the outside is from first hand experience?

Back