Magnetic field in coaxial cables

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a coaxial cable with different current distributions in the inner and outer conductors. The goal is to calculate the magnetic induction as a function of distance from the central axis and the current. The problem is broken down into four cases and Ampère's law is used to find the magnetic field strength in each case. The correct equations and constants are used, and the final solutions are valid.
A_B
I think I solved this problem correctly, I just want to check because it's an interesting problem, and it's from a past exam.

Homework Statement

A coaxial cable consists of an inner solid conductor of radius [itex]r_1[/itex], and and outer conducting cylindrical shell of inner radius [itex]r_2[/itex] and outer radius [itex]r_3.[/itex] In both conductors, the current equals [itex]I_0[/itex], but they are in opposite directions. Also, the current distribution is not uniform, it increases linearly with distance from the central axis. In the inner conductor is varies as [itex]j_1=C_1 r[/itex] and in the outer cable as [itex]j_2=C_2 r[/itex].

Calculate the magnetic induction (which I take means magnetic field strength) as function of [itex]R[/itex], the distance from the central axis, and [itex]I_0[/itex] for:

a) [itex]R < r_1[/itex]
b) [itex]r_1 < R < r_2[/itex]
c) [itex]r_2 < R < r_3[/itex]
d) [itex]R > r_3[/itex]

Homework Equations

I think the static Ampère's law is the correct equation
[tex]\oint \bar{B} \cdot d\bar{s} = \mu_0 I[/tex]
Where I is the current through any surface which has the curve of the LHS as boundary.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) We consider a circle of radius [itex]R < r_1[/itex] centered at the central axis of the coaxial cable in the plane perpendicular to the current. The LHS of Amp's law for this circle gives [tex]\oint \bar{B} \cdot d\bar{s} = 2\pi B R.[/tex]
For the RHS we need to find the total current through the circle.
[tex]
\begin{align*}
I &= \iint\limits_{circle} j_1 dA
\\ &= \int_0^{2\pi} d\theta \int_0^R C_1 r^2 dr
\\ &= \frac{2}{3} \pi C_1 R^3
\end{align*}
[/tex]

If we take this integral from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]r_1[/itex] , we know that the current through the circle is [itex]I_0[/itex]. Thus, we can figure out the constant [itex]C_1.[/itex]
[tex] C_1 = \frac{3I_0}{2\pi r_1^3} [/tex]
We put this in the previous formula for the current to obtain:
[tex] I = \left(\frac{R}{r_1}\right)^3 I_0 [/tex]

We plug it all into Ampère's law to obtain
[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 R^2}{2\pi r_1^3}I_0[/tex]

b) When [itex]r_1 < R < r_2[/itex] the current through the circle is always [itex]I_0[/itex] and the countour integral still equals [itex]2\pi BR[/itex] so the magnetic field strength is
[tex] B = \frac{\mu_0 I_0}{2\pi R}[/tex]

c)The current through the circle is [itex]I_0[/itex] minus the current through the bit of the outer conductor that goes through the circle. We shall first calculate the current through this bit.
[tex]
\begin{align*}
I_2 &= \iint\limits_{r_2 \rightarrow R} j_2 dA
\\ &= \int_0^{2\pi} d\theta \int_{r_2}^{R} C_2 r^2 dr
\\ &= \frac{2}{3} \pi C_2 \left(R^2 - r_2^3\right)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Taking this integral to [itex]r_3[/itex] should give [itex]I_0[/itex] so we can figure out the constant [itex]C_2[/itex].
[tex]C_2 = \frac{3I_0}{2\pi \left(r_3^3-r_2^3\right)}[/tex]

Putting it all together gives a total current through the circle of:
[tex]I = I_0 - I_2 = I_0 - \frac{\left(R^3 - r_2^3\right) I_0}{\left(r_3^3 - r_2^3\right)}[/tex]

Applying Amp's law gives
[tex] B = \frac{\mu_0 I_0}{2 \pi R} \left( 1- \frac{R^3 - r_2^3}{r_3^3 - r_2^3} \right)[/tex]

c) The total current is zero, therefore, so is the magnetic field.
[tex] B = 0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks OK to me.

1. What is a magnetic field in coaxial cables?

A magnetic field in coaxial cables is a region in space where magnetic forces can act on charged particles. It is created by the flow of electric current through the conductive materials of the coaxial cable.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the performance of coaxial cables?

A strong magnetic field can cause interference and signal loss in coaxial cables, leading to poor performance. This is because the magnetic field can induce unwanted currents in the conductive materials of the cable, disrupting the flow of the original signal.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in coaxial cables?

The strength of the magnetic field in coaxial cables is influenced by the amount of current flowing through the cable, the distance between the conductors, and the type of materials used in the cable's construction.

4. How can I minimize the impact of magnetic fields on my coaxial cables?

To minimize the impact of magnetic fields, it is recommended to use high-quality coaxial cables with proper shielding and grounding. Keeping cables away from other sources of magnetic interference can also help reduce the impact.

5. Can magnetic fields be completely eliminated from coaxial cables?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate magnetic fields from coaxial cables. However, proper shielding and grounding can greatly reduce their impact and improve the overall performance of the cables.