Absolute value inequalities

If |a|< |b| then -(a+ b)= -a- b= -(a-(-b))= |a|- |b|.So in either case |a+ b|= |a|- |b|.In summary, we are trying to prove the inequalities |a+b|≤|a|+|b| and |a+b|≥|a|-|b| for different cases of a and b. When both a and b are positive, the two expressions are equal. When a and b are both negative, the expressions are also equal. However, when one of a and b is positive and the other is negative, we have two cases to consider: when |a|>|b
wonnabewith

Homework Statement

I was trying to show that
1) |a+b|≤|a|+|b|
2) |a+b|≥|a|-|b|
and find out how they were true when a,b>0, a,b<0, and a>0,b<0

Homework Equations

1) |a+b|≤|a|+|b|
2) |a+b|≥|a|-|b|

The Attempt at a Solution

For |a+b|≤|a|+|b|
a,b>0
I got that |a+b|=a+b
|a|+|b|=a+b
so |a+b|=|a|+|b|
but I was confused when I was trying to solve when a,b<0, and a>0,b<0
please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What were your problems? What did you try?

wonnabewith said:

Homework Statement

I was trying to show that
1) |a+b|≤|a|+|b|
2) |a+b|≥|a|-|b|
and find out how they were true when a,b>0, a,b<0, and a>0,b<0

Homework Equations

1) |a+b|≤|a|+|b|
2) |a+b|≥|a|-|b|

The Attempt at a Solution

For |a+b|≤|a|+|b|
a,b>0
I got that |a+b|=a+b
|a|+|b|=a+b
so |a+b|=|a|+|b|
but I was confused when I was trying to solve a,b<0, and a>0,b<0
please help!
If a and b are both less than 0, then so is a+ b.
|a|= -a, |b|= -b, |a+ b|= -(a+ b)= -a- b.

If one of a> 0 and b< 0, there are still two cases: |a|> |b| or |a|< |b|.
If |a|> |b| then a+ b= a-(-b)> 0 so |a+ b|= a+ b= |a|- |b|

What is an absolute value inequality?

An absolute value inequality is an inequality statement that involves an absolute value expression, which is a number's distance from 0 on a number line. For example, |x| > 3 is an absolute value inequality, where x represents a variable.

How do you solve absolute value inequalities?

To solve an absolute value inequality, you need to isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality symbol and then split it into two separate inequalities, one with a positive sign and one with a negative sign. Then, you can solve each inequality separately and combine the solutions to find the final solution set.

What is the difference between absolute value equations and absolute value inequalities?

Absolute value equations involve an equal sign, whereas absolute value inequalities involve an inequality symbol (>, <, ≥, ≤). Additionally, absolute value equations have a finite number of solutions, while absolute value inequalities have an infinite number of solutions.

What are the common mistakes when solving absolute value inequalities?

One common mistake is forgetting to split the absolute value expression into two separate inequalities. Another mistake is incorrectly choosing the sign when splitting the absolute value expression, which can lead to an incorrect solution set. It's also important to remember to flip the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing both sides by a negative number.

How are absolute value inequalities used in real life?

Absolute value inequalities are used in various real-life situations, such as determining the safe distance to stand from a dangerous object, setting limits for acceptable values in a scientific experiment, and solving optimization problems in economics and engineering. They can also be used to represent constraints in mathematical models and to solve real-world problems involving distances and rates.