What's necessary for cordless keyboard & mouse?

In summary, the conversation discusses the compatibility of a keyboard with a computer. The person asks if a bluetooth adaptor is needed or if a wireless adapter will suffice. They also inquire about the need for proprietary drivers and if the keyboard will work with Linux. The other person mentions that cordless devices come with a receiver and drivers are not necessary unless the keyboard has special functions.
TylerH
What do they communicate by? As in, do I need a bluetooth adaptor or will a b/g/n wireless adapter do?

Also, do these things need proprietary drivers or will they work out of the box with Linux(Kubuntu)?
The keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAGXZC/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks for your time.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You realize that if you buy a cordless device it comes with a receiver to plug into a USB port?

No, you shouldn't need drivers unless it has special functions not found on standard keyboards.

No, I didn't realize that.

Thanks.

I cannot provide a specific response to the product linked in the question. However, in general, cordless keyboards and mice typically require a wireless connection to communicate with the computer. This can be achieved through a Bluetooth adapter or a wireless adapter with a compatible frequency, such as b/g/n.

As for compatibility with Linux (Kubuntu), it is important to check the product specifications or contact the manufacturer to ensure that the keyboard and mouse are compatible with the operating system. Some products may require proprietary drivers, while others may work out of the box with Linux. It is always recommended to do thorough research before purchasing any technology product to ensure compatibility with your specific setup.

1. What are the basic components needed for a cordless keyboard and mouse?

The basic components needed for a cordless keyboard and mouse are a wireless receiver, batteries, and the keyboard and mouse themselves. Some models may also require a USB dongle or Bluetooth connectivity.

2. How do I connect a cordless keyboard and mouse to my computer?

To connect a cordless keyboard and mouse to your computer, you will need to plug in the wireless receiver to an available USB port or enable Bluetooth on your computer. Then, turn on the keyboard and mouse and they should automatically connect to the receiver.

3. What type of batteries are required for a cordless keyboard and mouse?

The type of batteries required for a cordless keyboard and mouse may vary depending on the model. However, most models will require either AA or AAA batteries for both the keyboard and mouse. It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions for the specific type of batteries needed.

4. How far away can I use a cordless keyboard and mouse from my computer?

The range of a cordless keyboard and mouse can vary, but most models have a range of about 10 meters or 33 feet. However, obstacles such as walls or other electronic devices may affect the range.

5. Is there a difference between a cordless keyboard and mouse and a wireless keyboard and mouse?

Although the terms are often used interchangeably, there is a slight difference between a cordless keyboard and mouse and a wireless keyboard and mouse. A cordless keyboard and mouse typically use a USB receiver to connect to the computer, while a wireless keyboard and mouse may use Bluetooth technology to connect. However, both types are wireless and do not require cords or cables for connectivity.