How high above the the earth's surface is the meteor?

In summary, a 12 kg meteor experiences an acceleration if 7.2m/s^2. When falling towards the Earth, a 30 kg meteor will experience an acceleration of 9.8m/s^2.
fa08ti
a 12 kg meteor experiences an acceleration if 7.2 m/s^2. when falling towards the earth

a: how high above the the Earth's surface is the meteor?
b: what force will a 30 kg meteor experience at the same altitude?

attempt:

i'm, not sure which equation to use..would it be
v= sqrt(Gm/r)?

Physics news on Phys.org

You need a formula which relates acceleration due to the Earth's gravity and the distance from it's center. Do you know such a formula?

would this be correct?

gh = GM / (R + h )2

If R is the radius of the earth, and h above the surface of the earth, yes.

[itex]g=\frac{GM}{(R+h)^{2}}[/itex]

i used the formula and got a negative value?

Last edited:

fa08ti said:
i used the formula and got a negative value?

How did you get a negative value? g should come out to 9.8m/s^2 if h=0. Do you know why? To get 7.2m/s^2, h should certainly be positive.

i used the mass of the meteor and i think i should have used the mass of earth?

fa08ti said:
i used the mass of the meteor and i think i should have used the mass of earth?

Very correct.

thanks..i just want someone to clarify something..does the mass of the object not matter? if so, why not?

fa08ti said:
thanks..i just want someone to clarify something..does the mass of the object not matter? if so, why not?

The mass of the object does not matter. Every mass falls with the same acceleration (in a given gravitational field).

[tex] F = G\frac{M m}{r^2} [/tex]
but [itex] F = m a[/itex] so that [itex] a = F/m[/itex] Thus

[tex] a = \frac{F}{m} = G\frac{M}{r^2} [/tex]

Only the mass of the Earth, M, matters for the acceleration of mass m in its field (that's the acceleration with respect to the Earth, of course).

So, why should this be so? It is so because inertial mass happens to be equal to gravitational mass for any object with mass (Look up "equivalence principle").

thanks everyone sooo much

1. How high above the earth's surface is the meteor?

The height of a meteor above the earth's surface can vary greatly depending on its size, speed, and trajectory. However, on average, most meteors burn up in the atmosphere at altitudes between 50 and 75 miles above the earth's surface.

2. Can the height of a meteor be accurately measured?

Yes, the height of a meteor can be measured using specialized equipment such as radar and telescopes. These instruments can track the trajectory of the meteor and calculate its height above the earth's surface.

3. How does the height of a meteor affect its impact?

The height of a meteor can greatly impact its potential for damage upon impact. Meteors that explode or burn up at higher altitudes tend to have less impact on the earth's surface, while those that survive to a lower altitude can cause more significant damage.

4. Can the height of a meteor be predicted?

Scientists can make predictions about the height of a meteor by studying its size, composition, and trajectory. However, these predictions may not always be accurate as external factors such as atmospheric conditions can also affect the height of a meteor.

5. How does the height of a meteor compare to other objects in space?

The height of a meteor above the earth's surface is relatively low compared to other objects in space. For example, the International Space Station orbits at an average height of 250 miles, while geostationary satellites can be found at heights of around 22,000 miles above the earth's surface.