Why do physicists love hiking?

In summary, most physicists like hiking because it is a way to get out of the lab and see nature up close. It is a way to think and it is a good way to stay in shape.
CyberShot
Like, seriously. What's the deal? Einstein almost lost his life hiking up a mountain, and almost every physicist I know is obsessed with hiking and is always posting such pictures on Facebook.

Is it just part of their curiosity for nature, and they sense of awe they get traveling through the wilderness?

Anyone else noticed this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny you post this now. I'm not what I would call a physicist - I just have a BS - but I'm about to go on a nice backpacking trip to the Olympic Peninsula coast...:smile:

Because we study Nature and we want to be in it.

Not a physicist either, BS in bio and chemisty, but I've probably have backpacked 300 miles through Isle Royale in Michigan, and a portion of the Appalachians, as well as some other areas in Michigan. Additionally a decent canoe trip through the Boundary Water Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota, I think about 60 miles. Close encounter with black bears there. Close encounters with moose on Isle Royale. When I was in scouts, we camped out usually one weekend a month or every other month. Plus one or two weeklong camping events in the summer, white water rafting twice through the New River Gorge National River in North Carolina.

I've logged a fair number of days in the wilderness.

Why? I enjoy it.

Observing nature up close like that gives you insight that you can't get working and living in a city I think.

CyberShot said:
Like, seriously. What's the deal? Einstein almost lost his life hiking up a mountain, and almost every physicist I know is obsessed with hiking and is always posting such pictures on Facebook.

Is it just part of their curiosity for nature, and they sense of awe they get traveling through the wilderness?

Same reason everyone involved in superconductiviy research like climbing (physicists AND chemists)...
Nearly everyone, that is, I am a very rare exception:shy:

Well it's simple and easy enough for out of shape people, and still a good way to get of the lab or from in front of a computer.

Probably helps with the thinking process. Plus the scenery.

You do not have to spend your precious time to learn that sport, may be?

CyberShot said:
[...]almost every physicist I know is obsessed with hiking and is always posting such pictures on Facebook.

I think it's the dichotomy of our artificially manufactured understandings and their most natural interpretations.

Who can appreciate a clean floor more than the janitor?

Because deep down, none of us really believe that raising the altitude of some object (such as our bodies) is actually work, so we have to see for ourselvesa that work = our mass times gravity times the height displacement. Then we have to constantly remind ourselves of this fact.

I assume it is the same reason that I enjoy walking/running around my block for 1-2 hours in the middle of the night sometimes. Good exercise, nice weather, and gives me plenty of time to think while I walk and listen to music. I work 3-11 pm so I am almost always up until 6ish am.

Definitely because it helps to open up the thinking process and it is more fun to think while walking than to think all in one place..

No, but they do love to ride bikes...

Why do quantity surveyors like reading books?

Hiking, can be free, or can cost, can be easy or hard, near or far, together, alone, I feel a song coming on...

Evo said:
Hiking, can be free, or can cost, can be easy or hard, near or far, together, alone, I feel a song coming on...

http://www.hikingfunstore.com/hiking-music-009.html

And something for you, Evo:

[PLAIN]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8S7J5BD9LPOs2FqlD3EM8WFesFjuYhsUToIVY64MPfn6xxSh1

Hiking kitty.

(After ruining your fun in the "intellectual pleasures" thread, I owe you a few cute cat pictures.)

Last edited by a moderator:
FlexGunship said:
http://www.hikingfunstore.com/hiking-music-009.html

And something for you, Evo:

[PLAIN]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8S7J5BD9LPOs2FqlD3EM8WFesFjuYhsUToIVY64MPfn6xxSh1

Hiking kitty.

(After ruining your fun in the "intellectual pleasures" thread, I owe you a few cute cat pictures.)
:!) Kitty!

Last edited by a moderator:
CyberShot said:

There is one physicist of note lately who likes surfing.

If you spent your life in a lab, you might need to get out too. :biggrin:

A lot of people enjoy hiking. Physicists are people too. :wink:

As Evo pointed out, hiking is one of those things that people of all abilities can do...anything from a short hike on a relatively flat trail to a more challenging hike over steep and rocky terrain...and you can do it either alone or as a social activity with a group. You can do it for the exercise, you can do it for the scenery, you can do it for the conversation with the people you bring along, you can do it because there's a good pub at the end of the trail. So, it's an activity with pretty broad appeal to a lot of different people with different tastes.

Moonbear said:
A lot of people enjoy hiking. Physicists are people too. :wink:

Exactly! I just got back from my trip, the tent was right about here...

47°50'27.04"N, 124°32'19.60"W

The place is unbelievable - anyone would love it, physicist or not.

It's opposite, people who hike have stronger neurogenesis and are more likely to be smart.

Exercise and diet will make you smarter than any iPhone app.

My tent was here the other night:

2nar1b6.jpg

42°47'40.93"N 1° 3'53.61"E

Almost at the highest point of the hike

2q3xhkl.jpg

42°47'23.78"N 1° 2'31.47"E

1. Why do physicists love hiking?

There are several reasons why physicists love hiking. Firstly, hiking allows them to connect with nature and appreciate the natural world, which is a fundamental aspect of science. Secondly, it provides a break from the often intense and mentally demanding work of research and experimentation. Hiking also allows physicists to exercise and stay physically healthy, which is important for their overall well-being. Additionally, being in nature can stimulate creativity and inspire new ideas, which is beneficial for their work as scientists. Lastly, hiking involves problem-solving and critical thinking, which are skills that are essential for physicists.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for why hiking is enjoyable for physicists?

While there is no specific scientific explanation for why hiking is enjoyable for physicists, there are several theories. Some research suggests that being in nature can reduce stress and improve mental health, which could explain why physicists find hiking enjoyable. Additionally, hiking involves physical activity, which releases endorphins and can improve mood. It also provides a sense of accomplishment and adventure, which can be rewarding for physicists who often work in a highly structured and controlled environment.

3. Are there any parallels between hiking and physics?

Yes, there are several parallels between hiking and physics. Both involve exploration, problem-solving, and a deep understanding of the world around us. Just as a hiker navigates through different terrains and obstacles, a physicist navigates through complex theories and experiments in search of answers. Both activities also require perseverance and determination to reach their goals. Additionally, both hiking and physics involve a sense of wonder and curiosity about the natural world.

4. Do all physicists enjoy hiking?

No, not all physicists enjoy hiking. Just like any other group of people, physicists have a wide range of interests and hobbies. While some may enjoy hiking, others may prefer other forms of physical activity or leisure activities outside of work. However, many physicists do appreciate the benefits of hiking and may incorporate it into their routines to relax and recharge.

5. Is there a specific type of hiking that physicists prefer?

There is no specific type of hiking that physicists prefer. Some may enjoy challenging and strenuous hikes, while others may prefer more leisurely walks in nature. Some physicists may enjoy hiking alone as a form of solitude and reflection, while others may prefer to hike with friends or colleagues. Ultimately, the type of hiking that a physicist enjoys will depend on their personal preferences and interests.