Gigantic Black Holes vs White Holes: How Can We Know?

In summary, the emission phenomena from active galactic nuclei are believed to be caused by supermassive black holes due to our understanding of gravity and the lack of a competing theory. While some scientists have proposed the existence of white holes, there is no observational proof and their existence is highly unlikely based on our current understanding of physics. Therefore, white holes can be clearly exonerated as the cause of these phenomena.
profgemelli
Hello friends! Forgive me, I have another question for you physicists. We see those active galactic nucley which show enormous emission phenomena, so:

How can we know that responsible are gigantic black holes and not white holes?

I suppose we guess it, becouse we have some theory on the formation of black holes from a collapsing star while for white holes we have nothing similar, which makes the existence of white holes rather improbable to most people... but we cannot be really sure. Am I wrong?

Space news on Phys.org
profgemelli said:
Hello friends! Forgive me, I have another question for you physicists. We see those active galactic nucley which show enormous emission phenomena, so:

How can we know that responsible are gigantic black holes and not white holes?
White holes are black holes with the time coordinate reversed. They don't exist for the exact same reason that we don't see eggs spontaneously jumping out of a frying pan and back into their shells.

Is that all??

No. White holes don't exist because they comply with no known physics.

Black holes have a mundane physical explanation - gravity. Gravity has no repulsive counterpart, thus no white holes.

Perhaps, if I am not abusing of your patience, I must try to be more precise in my question. I already knew that most of the physicists don't believe in white holes, probably I don't too, but some scientists have a different opinion. There are relatively few papers on that subject in the literature, but there are some 20 rather recent papers on arxiv.org, which means there could be a sort of revival going on. So I would not like to discard the thing unless I can understand:

1) do we have any observative proof that emission from active galactic nuclei (x-rays, jets, etc...)are really caused by matter falling into a supermassive black hole? Or is it mainly a matter of "what else could be?"

2) in the unespected case white holes should exist, could they in theory be responsible (as well as black holes) for such phenomena? Or can we clearly exonerate them for some reason (but that the fact that their existence is unlikely)?

Thank you

Well,

1] "what else could it be" is a pretty good scientific argument.

Our understanding of gravity and mass and the centre of galaxies leads to a model with black holes. There is no competing theory. There is no repulsive gravity, there is no model for a white hole.

2] It's not simply "we see stuff spewing out, let's assume it's a BH". The stuff that's coming out is consistent with matter being highly compressed as it spirals inward to a strong gravitational source. We do know that's what matter does in that circumstance.

What is a black hole and what is a white hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. A white hole is a hypothetical region in space where matter and energy are constantly being ejected, in contrast to a black hole where matter and energy are being pulled in.

How can we detect the presence of black holes and white holes?

Black holes cannot be directly observed, but their presence can be detected through the effects they have on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the movement of nearby objects. White holes, on the other hand, have not been observed or detected, and their existence is purely theoretical.

What is the difference between a black hole and a white hole?

The main difference between a black hole and a white hole is their behavior. A black hole pulls matter and energy into it, while a white hole ejects matter and energy away from it. Additionally, while black holes have a strong gravitational pull, white holes are thought to have a repulsive force.

How can we distinguish between a black hole and a white hole?

One way to distinguish between a black hole and a white hole is through their effects on their surroundings. As mentioned earlier, black holes distort light and pull in matter, while white holes would have the opposite effect. However, since white holes have not been observed, it is not possible to definitively distinguish between the two.

What are the potential implications of discovering white holes?

If white holes were to be discovered, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also potentially provide answers to some of the biggest mysteries in astrophysics, such as the origin of the universe and the existence of parallel universes.