Integrating Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory & Population Dynamic Equation

• Thread starter zhouyang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, a new member of a forum is seeking help with integrating the Swallowtail catastrophe theory into the population dynamic equation. They are looking for anyone familiar with both theories or any web resources on the topics. Another member suggests taking a look at "An Introduction to Catastrophe Theory" and adapting the equation to the canonical version of the Swallowtail. They provide instructions on how to do so and suggest studying the canonical cusp catastrophe first before attempting to adapt the equation.
zhouyang
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I am requesting all, please if you can help me. I want to integrate the Swallowtail catastrophe theory into the population dynemic equation. Anybody who knows about swallowtail catastrophe theory as well as population dynemic equation, please reply me. Or if anybody knows about web resources on these topics please send me.
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you post your particular DE?

yes,
i attached it as jpeg file
Thanks

Attachments

• PDE.jpg
    PDE.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 483
Ok. Looks interesting but unfortunately I don't have time right now to work with it. May I suggest taking a look at "An Introductioon to Catastrophe Theory" by Saunders and try and adapt your equation to the canonical version of the swallowtail:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=5x^4+3ux^2+2vx+w[/tex]

I did notice when you put yours over a common denominator, the numerator is a quartic but it includes a cubic term which the canonical swallowtail does not include. Not sure how that would effect the bifurcation set. So the general procedure is to then take the derivative of the RHS, then set the RHS and it's derivative to zero and then eliminate x from these two expressions. This then gives an implicit equation in u, v, and w. That surface is the swallowtail bifurcation set. However, your equation has more than three parameters. Not sure about this also but I would start by trying to fit your equation to the canonical version even if I have to simplify it or constrain it.

Dear jackmell,

Thank you very much. I will go through it. I got the said book from google, but it has only 23 pages. Anyway I would find some other notes, and try it. Your instructions really help me and I hope, if you could do it please post.
Cheers!

Ok, your equation will take quite a bit of time to fully investigate. The best approach is to first spend some time with the canonical cusp catastrophe:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=4x^3+2ux+v[/tex]

get that one conceptually straight, then spend time with the canonical swallowtail, then adapt your equation to "fit" the canonical form. I' talkin' weeks for that but it's a very interesting field for me, answers many questions about the world in my opinion, and maybe when I'm done with some work I'm working on now, I'll go back and spend some time with your equation but don't wait for me. You try doing this now: just put up your equation for now, and just study the cusp.

Dear jackmell,

Thank you very much!

1. What is Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory?

Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory is a mathematical model that describes sudden and drastic changes in dynamic systems, such as population dynamics.

2. How is Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory integrated with Population Dynamic Equation?

The Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory is integrated with the Population Dynamic Equation by incorporating its concepts and equations into the population dynamics model. This allows for the prediction and understanding of sudden changes in population behavior.

3. What are the benefits of integrating Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory with Population Dynamic Equation?

Integrating Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory with Population Dynamic Equation allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of population behavior, including the prediction of sudden changes. It also provides insights into the underlying mechanisms driving these changes.

4. How is Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory and Population Dynamic Equation applied in real-life situations?

These two theories are often applied in ecology, economics, and other fields to study and predict changes in population dynamics. They have been used to understand the collapse of animal populations, financial market fluctuations, and other complex systems.

5. What are the limitations of integrating Swallowtail Catastrophe Theory and Population Dynamic Equation?

One limitation is that it relies on simplifications and assumptions, which may not always accurately represent real-world situations. Additionally, the integration of these two theories can be challenging as it requires advanced mathematical and statistical skills.