What Are the Force Carriers in the Four Fundamental Forces of Physics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the four fundamental forces of physics and their force carriers, including virtual particles and force fields. There was also mention of virtual photons and their involvement in electromagnetism, which may be better understood through basic quantum mechanics. Further resources were suggested for better understanding of virtual particles and the fundamental forces.
beatlemaniacj
I teach myself physics. I find it pretty easy but I was getting stuck on this one principle. I was reading about the four fundamental forces of physics. I read that some particles (i.e. Gravitons, gluons, photons, and muons) are force carriers. How would this work? SIDE NOTE I heard that photons are the force carrier for electromagnetism. Wouldn't there be some light involved wherever magnets are used then? PLease don't think I;m stupid. I'm actually pretty good at physics. This was tripping me up however.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! I'm certain someone else can give you a better answer, but I think I can point you in the right direction. As I understand, the forces, or rather fundamental interactions, are modeled using virtual particles (e.g. virtual photons), but they can also be modeled as force fields without carriers. Your question points towards virtual particles (see Force carrier). I'm afraid this answer probably will raise more questions, since virtual particles can be a little tricky to understand (I'm struggling with it myself). Regarding the magnet thing, this implies that virtual photons are involved (generally it's better to use the term electromagnetic radiation than light, since light implies only EM radiation visible to the human eye).

Here is a FAQ regarding virtual particles: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/virtual_particles.html; you'll need some basic quantum mechanics to make use of it.

I hope someone else drops in here, I'd like to understand more about virtual particles myself. :smile:

What are the four fundamental forces?

The four fundamental forces are the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, the electromagnetic force, and the gravitational force. These forces are responsible for all interactions between particles in the universe.

What is the role of the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. It is the strongest of the four fundamental forces and is responsible for binding protons and neutrons together in the nucleus.

How does the weak nuclear force work?

The weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay, which is the process by which unstable atoms release energy and particles in order to become more stable. This force is much weaker than the other three fundamental forces.

What is the relationship between the electromagnetic force and electricity and magnetism?

The electromagnetic force is responsible for all electric and magnetic interactions between particles. It is the force that allows charged particles to attract or repel each other and is responsible for the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

Why is gravity considered a fundamental force?

Gravity is considered a fundamental force because it is responsible for the attraction between all objects with mass. It is the weakest of the four fundamental forces, but it is also the force that governs the behavior of large-scale objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies.