Find the Highest Pressure Point in this Conjoined Container

In summary: The pressure in a liquid is ρgh (+ atmospheric pressure) …Yes, that's right. Pressure = (Density) x (gravity due to acceleration) x (height). Because all points share the same density and gravity due to acceleration, the highest pressure point would be the point with the largest height, which is Point D.
brainst0rm

Homework Statement

In this conjoined container, water is filled up to the top at all three openings. Which letter point shows the highest point of pressure in this conjoined container?

````/~\``````````|~~~|`````\~~~~~~~/
``` /~~\`````````|~~~|``````\~~~~~~/
```/~~~\````````|~~~|```````\~~~~~/
``/~~~~\````````|~~~|```````\~C~~/
`/~~`A~~\_______|~B~|________\~~/
/_____________C__________________/

Key: ~ represents water
` ignore, represents space (used to post on forum)

Homework Equations

Pascal’s law, Pressure = Force/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I think point C has the highest pressure point because two forces act on it from left to right and right to left. However, the pressure equilibrium comes to play and I am unsure which point displays the highest point of pressure. My second guess would be point C due to the higher force pushing downwards. What is the right answer? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi brainst0rm! welcome to pf! :smile:

i'm confused :redface:

why are there two Cs in the diagram? :confused:

Oops. I revised the data points with one point C and one point D.

Which letter point shows the highest point of pressure in this conjoined container?
1. Homework Statement

In this conjoined container, water is filled up to the top at all three openings. Which letter point shows the highest point of pressure in this conjoined container?

````/~\``````````|~~~|`````\~~~~~~~/
``` /~~\`````````|~~~|``````\~~~~~~/
```/~~~\````````|~~~|```````\~~~~~/
``/~~~~\````````|~~~|```````\~C~~/
`/~~`A~~\_______|~B~|________\~~'/
/_____________D__________________/

Key: ~ represents water
` ignore, represents space (used to post on forum)

2. Homework Equations

Pascal’s law, Pressure = Force/Area

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I think point D has the highest pressure point because two forces act on it from left to right and right to left. However, the pressure equilibrium comes to play and I am unsure which point displays the highest point of pressure. My second guess would be point C due to the higher force pushing downwards. What is the right answer? Thanks.

brainst0rm said:
I think point D has the highest pressure point because two forces act on it from left to right and right to left.

right, but for the wrong reason

(i don't even understand the reason…

pressure acts left right and all around everywhere :confused:)

the pressure in a liquid is ρgh (+ atmospheric pressure) …

are you not familiar with that formula?​

Oh yes, P = pgh. How about this?

P = pgh, or Pressure = (Density) x (gravity due to acceleration) x (height). Because all points share the same density and gravity due to acceleration, the highest pressure point would be the point with the largest height, which is Point D.

hi brainst0rm! :smile:
brainst0rm said:
Because all points share the same density and gravity due to acceleration, the highest pressure point would be the point with the largest height, which is Point D.

yes, that's right …

the shape of the container doesn't matter …

so long as it's open to the atmosphere, the pressure only depends on the depth :wink:

1. What is the purpose of finding the highest pressure point in a conjoined container?

Finding the highest pressure point in a conjoined container is important in understanding the distribution of pressure within the container. This information can help in designing and optimizing the container for its intended use.

2. How do you determine the highest pressure point in a conjoined container?

The highest pressure point in a conjoined container can be determined by measuring the pressure at different points within the container and comparing them. The point with the highest pressure reading will be considered as the highest pressure point.

3. What factors can affect the location of the highest pressure point in a conjoined container?

The location of the highest pressure point in a conjoined container can be affected by several factors, such as the shape and size of the container, the amount and type of material inside the container, and the external forces acting on the container.

4. Why is it important to find the highest pressure point in a conjoined container?

Knowing the highest pressure point in a conjoined container is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of the container. It can also help in identifying potential weak points in the container that may need reinforcement.

5. Are there any techniques or tools that can be used to find the highest pressure point in a conjoined container?

Yes, there are different techniques and tools that can be used to find the highest pressure point in a conjoined container. Some examples include using pressure sensors, conducting pressure mapping, and performing finite element analysis.