Natural Frequency of Solid Spheres

In summary, Schummann Resonance may or may not be accurate for calculating the natural frequency of metallic spherical objects. A simple unconstrained modal analysis should do the trick.
YMU
Dear Physics Forum community,

I am posting here as a last resort, so any guidance/references would be much appreciated.

As a small part of my project, I need to calculate the natural frequency of metallic solid spheres. All I have been able to find on the web is the Schummann Resonance, which may or may not be very accurate in my case. I've also read somewhere that it can only be solvable through the application of FEM models with 2nd order differential equation boundary conditions.

ANY input is much appreciated.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems to me a simple unconstrained modal analysis on the sphere in any standard FEA package would do the trick, no exotic boundary conditions needed.

What kind of modes are you hoping to solve for?

Last edited:
Google gave this as the first hit:
Horace Lamb, "On the Vibrations of an Elastic Sphere ", Proc. London Math. Soc. (1881) s1-13(1): 189-212

Lamb wrote textbooks on the theory of elasticity, dynamics, and acoustics that are sitill in print. IIRC the radial vibration of a sphere is of some interest in acoustics.

Just thinking about the equations of motion in spherical coordiates, there will be many diferent families of vibration modes. You probably need to be more specific about what you really want to know.

For a uniform elastic sphere, radius a and density ρ vibrating radially under no external forces the radial displacement U satisfies

[tex]\left( {\lambda + 2\mu } \right)\left( {\frac{{{\partial ^2}U}}{{\partial {r^2}}} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial r}} - \frac{{2U}}{{{r^2}}}} \right) = \rho \frac{{{\partial ^2}U}}{{\partial {t^2}}}[/tex]

Where λ & [itex]\mu[/itex] are elastic constants

The radial stress is

[tex]{\sigma _r} = \left( {\lambda + 2\mu } \right)\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial r}} + 2\lambda \frac{U}{r}[/tex]

The periods of the normal modes of vibration are given by

[tex]\frac{{2\pi a}}{{{c_1}\xi }}[/tex]

Where

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
c_1^2 = \frac{{\left( {\lambda + 2\mu } \right)}}{\rho } \\
\xi = positive\;roots\;of\quad 4\xi \cot \xi = 4 - {\beta ^2}{\xi ^2} \\
{\beta ^2} = \frac{{\left( {\lambda + 2\mu } \right)}}{\mu } \\
\end{array}[/tex]

What is the natural frequency of a solid sphere?

The natural frequency of a solid sphere refers to the frequency at which the sphere vibrates when it is disturbed from its equilibrium position. This frequency depends on the size and material properties of the sphere.

How is the natural frequency of a solid sphere calculated?

The natural frequency of a solid sphere can be calculated using the formula f = (1/2π) * √(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the stiffness of the sphere, and m is the mass of the sphere.

What factors affect the natural frequency of a solid sphere?

The natural frequency of a solid sphere is affected by the size, shape, and material properties of the sphere. A larger sphere will have a lower natural frequency, while a stiffer material will have a higher natural frequency.

Why is the natural frequency of a solid sphere important?

The natural frequency of a solid sphere is important in understanding the behavior of the sphere when it is subjected to external forces. It can also be used in designing structures that involve spheres, such as bridges or buildings.

How does the natural frequency of a solid sphere relate to its mode of vibration?

The natural frequency of a solid sphere determines its mode of vibration, which is the specific pattern of movement that the sphere exhibits when it vibrates. A higher natural frequency will result in a more rapid mode of vibration, while a lower natural frequency will result in a slower mode of vibration.