Finding E, D and P in a Dielectric Slab

• Thread starter zhillyz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dielectric
In summary, Zhillyz was struggling to solve a homework problem that asks for the dielectric properties of a dielectric slab between two capacitors. He found the dielectric equations, but was not sure how to use them to find P, D, and E as functions of z. He was able to find an expression for D as a function of z, but was not able to find an expression for E outside of the slab. He was able to calculate P using the dielectric equation and the free charge density.
zhillyz

Homework Statement

For a dielectric slab of relative permeability er fills the space between z = ±a in the xy-plane, and contains uniform density of free charge ρf per unit volume. Find E, D and P as functions of z.

Homework Equations

P = εoXeE
D = εrεoE
∇×P=εoXe(∇×E) = 0
∇×D=εo(∇×E)+∇×P=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have been looking online and through lecture notes and have found dielectric equations for E, D and P but I am not sure what to do with them. I have found examples to do with dielectric slabs between capacitors with thickness 2d and I assume this is what my question must be based from(z = ±a, z(thickness) = 2a). I am sure that I have all the relevant equations but with no values to enter into them. If P, D and E are all vectors in the x,y and z axis is it maybe a case of calculating the curls and looking at the z component?

Not sure what to do from here, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi zhillyz. I think it would be easiest to start with finding D as a function of z. What equation could you use to do this? (It's not in your list of relevant equations.)

Emmm ∇.D = ρ-ρb = ρf = d^3q/dxdydz? There are other electric displacement formulae but none that seem to have relevance to the axis z like this one.

The question does mention free charge density which would make this formula look promising.

So if D = εoE + P

then ∇.D = εo∇.E+∇.P = d^3/dxdydz

am I going along the correct lines?

See if you can use [itex]\cdot[/itex]D = ρf or it's integral counterpart (Gauss' Law): [itex]\oint[/itex]D[itex]\cdot[/itex]dA = Qf,enclosed. Symmetry will tell you the direction of D and also where D = 0.

∮D⋅dA = Qf,enc

So using a gaussian pillbox with the centre of the dielectric slab being the centre of the box and the top of the box being inside +a and bottom inside -a of the z-axis. No flux through bottom or sides of box so, ∮dA = A(area of top of box)*z.

D*A = Qfenc*A*z
D = Qfenc*z

Then E = D/(K*εo)..

Am I getting it now?

zhillyz said:
∮D⋅dA = Qf,enc

So using a gaussian pillbox with the centre of the dielectric slab being the centre of the box and the top of the box being inside +a and bottom inside -a of the z-axis. No flux through bottom or sides of box so, ∮dA = A(area of top of box)*z.

D*A = Qfenc*A*z
D = Qfenc*z

Then E = D/(K*εo)..

Am I getting it now?

That's the right idea. But, if you choose the center of your box at z = 0, then there will be flux through the bottom as well as the top of the pillbox. You might want to consider putting the bottom of the box at z = 0 since you should be able to argue that D will be zero at z = 0.

If you're letting the symbol Qf,enc stand for free charge enclosed, then how would you express that in terms of the free charge density ρf?

Can you also get an expression for D for values of z outside the slab?

You are on the right track for getting E from D. Look's like you switched notation from εr to K.

Thank you I think I understand now, yes I did switch notations by accident as in my research of the question some people use the symbol K.

Basically the you only get flux through boundaries, so the slab is infinitely wide along the plane of the xy-axis and will not have boundaries on the side, the pillbox is placed conveniently with its base in the centre of the slab and top surface just over the top of the slab leaving only the flux through the top to be worked out.

Surface integral will only be area A of the top of pill box,

∮D⋅dA = Qf,enc
D⋅A=A⋅z⋅ρf
D=ρf⋅z
E=D/εrεo=ρf⋅z/εrεo [-a < z < +a]

P = εoXeE = ρf⋅a⋅Xe/εr = [ρf⋅a⋅εr - 1]/εr

But you won't get an accurate electric field over the boundary because of the surface charge so need to measure outside which would leave there no need for εr. Soo..

E=ρf⋅a/εo

Looks good to me, except for a typo in the placement of a bracket in the expression for P.

Thank you very kindly for your help :).

1. How do I determine the permittivity (ε) of a dielectric slab?

The permittivity of a dielectric slab can be determined by dividing the capacitance of the slab by the capacitance of a vacuum capacitor with the same dimensions. This can be calculated using the equation ε = C/C0, where C is the capacitance of the dielectric slab and C0 is the capacitance of a vacuum capacitor.

2. What are the factors that affect the permittivity of a dielectric slab?

The permittivity of a dielectric slab is affected by factors such as the type of material used, the thickness of the slab, and the temperature. The permittivity is also dependent on the frequency of the applied electric field.

3. What is the difference between the dielectric constant and the permittivity of a dielectric slab?

The dielectric constant (k) of a material is a unitless quantity that represents the ratio of the permittivity of the material to the permittivity of a vacuum. The permittivity (ε) of a dielectric slab is a physical quantity that represents the ability of the material to store electrical energy.

4. How do I find the electric displacement (D) in a dielectric slab?

The electric displacement in a dielectric slab can be calculated using the equation D = εE, where E is the electric field strength and ε is the permittivity of the material. The electric field strength can be determined by dividing the voltage across the slab by the distance between the plates.

5. What is the relationship between the permittivity and the electric displacement in a dielectric slab?

The permittivity and the electric displacement in a dielectric slab are directly proportional. This means that as the permittivity increases, the electric displacement also increases. This relationship is described by the equation D = εE, where D is the electric displacement, ε is the permittivity, and E is the electric field strength.