Interpreting Diagrams: Why is C_v Used in Isobaric Process?

In summary: The proportionality constant between ΔU and ΔT is fixed for any particular sample of gas, and is independent of whether the gas experiences changes at constant volume, constant pressure, or under any other conditions.
yklin_tux
Hello All, I am interpreting a diagram from the following question.
(I didnt have a chance to take thermo and I learned it by myself so I might have some problems)

http://www.physicsgrad.com/pgre/9677-15

I understand that I can just do ΔW and I get the right answer,
but upon doing it with the specific heats, I am a little confused.

The isobaric process (B->C) specifically:

I looked at this solution:
http://grephysics.net/ans/9677/15

Why, in the calculation of U, is there C_v present?
I thought the pressure was constant, and the volume changes,
then why is U = C_v(ΔT)??

Any advise appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You ask a good question.

For n moles of an ideal gas, we can show that [itex]U = n\frac{\nu}{2}RT,[/itex]
in which [itex]\nu[/itex] is 3 for a monatomic gas (such as helium) and approximately 5 for a diatomic gas such as oxygen.

Thus we have [itex]\Delta U = n\frac{\nu}{2}R\Delta T[/itex].

Thus there is a proportionality constant, [itex]n\frac{\nu}{2}R,[/itex] between [itex]\Delta U[/itex] and [itex]\Delta T[/itex] which is fixed for any particular sample of gas, and is independent of whether the gas experiences changes at constant volume, constant pressure, or under any other conditions.

Now, for a constant volume change the heat flow Q is equal to the rise in internal energy, since no work is done.
So [itex]Q = \Delta U[/itex] [constant volume!]

But, by definition of the molar heat capacity, [itex]C_v,[/itex] [itex]Q = nC_v \Delta T[/itex] [constant volume!]

So [itex]\Delta U = nC_v \Delta T[/itex]

But we showed at the beginning that the proportionality constant between [itex]\Delta U[/itex] and [itex]\Delta T[/itex] is fixed for any particular sample of gas, and is independent of whether the gas experiences changes at constant volume, constant pressure, or under any other conditions. So having shown for constant volume that the proportionality constant is [itex]nC_v[/itex], this must be the proportionality constant for all changes.

In other words, [itex]nC_v[/itex] is an alternative way of writing [itex]n\frac{\nu}{2}R[/itex].

Last edited:
Philip,

Thank you for that explanation.

I understand everything you say when there is constant volume, etc,
but in that problem (first link), the B->C process has constant pressure,
and volume changes, so work is being done...

What you are saying is that for ΔU calculation for that specific process I can use
C_v?

A characteristic of an ideal gas is that the internal energy is a function only of temperature, irrespective of the process.

yklyn Yes, that's just what I'm saying. nCv is the proportionality constant between ΔU and ΔT.

The key passage in my earlier post was the penultimate paragraph, staring "But we showed...".

1. What is C_v and why is it used in an isobaric process?

C_v is the specific heat capacity at constant volume, and it is used in an isobaric process because it represents the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius at constant pressure.

2. How is C_v different from C_p?

C_v and C_p are different measures of specific heat capacity. C_v is measured at constant volume, while C_p is measured at constant pressure. This means that C_v does not account for any changes in volume, while C_p does.

3. How is C_v determined experimentally?

C_v can be determined experimentally by using a bomb calorimeter. This device measures the heat released from a substance as it is burned at constant volume, allowing for the calculation of C_v.

4. Why is C_v important in thermodynamics?

C_v is important in thermodynamics because it is a crucial factor in calculating the change in internal energy of a substance during a process. It also helps in understanding the behavior of substances under different conditions, such as constant volume or constant pressure.

5. Can C_v vary for different substances?

Yes, C_v can vary for different substances. It is dependent on the molecular structure and composition of the substance. For example, gases typically have a higher C_v compared to solids and liquids due to the increased freedom of movement of their molecules.