How do i derive the relation between coherence time and bandwidth

In summary, the coherence time, t, can be calculated using the relation t = λ*λ/Δλ. This can be derived from the time-bandwidth relation (ΔE)(Δt) ≤ h and the conversion between frequency and wavelength. A smaller coherence time corresponds to a larger spectral width of the power density distribution.
walkingpoet
I was just curious, sorry if it is already asked,

I was going through a book on photonics and came across the relation

coherence time, t = λ*λ/Δλ

I did not find any proof of this. Can anyone explain me how this relation is found?

Physics news on Phys.org
The coherence time is the half width of the autocorrelation function. On the other hand, the Fourier transform of the autocorrelation function is the power density. The smaller the coherence time the larger the spectral width of the power density distribution, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener–Khinchin_theorem

A clever way (IMO) to derive that is to start with the relation (ΔE)(Δt) ≤ h and E = hω. Then you get the time-bandwidth relation trivially. To convert from frequency to wavelength, simply use c/λ = ω and when you differentiate. you get Δω = -c/λ^2 * Δλ

1. What is coherence time and bandwidth?

Coherence time is the measure of the time interval over which a signal can maintain its phase relationship, while bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies that a signal can occupy.

2. Why is it important to understand the relation between coherence time and bandwidth?

Understanding this relationship is important for designing and analyzing communication systems, as it affects the quality and reliability of the transmitted signal.

3. How do you derive the relation between coherence time and bandwidth?

The relation between coherence time and bandwidth can be derived using the formula Tc = 1/(2πΔf), where Tc is the coherence time and Δf is the bandwidth.

4. What factors affect the coherence time and bandwidth of a signal?

The coherence time and bandwidth of a signal can be affected by the nature of the signal, the medium it is transmitted through, and any external interference or noise.

5. Can the relation between coherence time and bandwidth be used to improve signal quality?

Yes, by understanding this relationship and optimizing the coherence time and bandwidth of a signal, its quality can be improved, resulting in better communication performance.