2d Elastic collision concept and formula

In summary: The walls movement is then slower than the initial impact speed, and this way you get a new angle.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of two items, A and B, in a zero G environment. It is determined that the basic equations needed to calculate the velocities and vectors after a collision would be conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, with the added consideration of momentum transfer occurring perpendicular to the contact line. The lighter part A would move upward at a 90 degree angle after the collision due to symmetry, and the 45 degree angle of impact is significant in determining the downward movement of the balls. However, there is not enough information to fully model the horizontal velocity of the balls in a less than fully elastic collision.
sl235
Would the 2 items displayed in the image below act as I expect in a zero G environment?

Assuming that item A had a mass of 100kg and was stationary, Items B have a mass of 1kg and travel at 10m/s.

what formula would I need to use to calculate the velocities and vectors of the items after the collision?

pyw1dC.gif

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic equations would be conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.

+ conservation of angular momentum
+ momentum transfer occurs perpendicular to the contact line.
The B-items will keep a small fraction of their horizontal movement. This is easier to see with a very small mass A: They would just push it away.

thanks for the replies. Mfb, would the lighter part A move upward at a 90 degree angle as depicted?

Due to symmetry, balls B will move identically after the collision. So you could simplify things by assuming an imaginary ball of mass m = 2kg moving upward at 10 m/s instead of the two balls. Conservation of momentum and energy gives you two equations, and you have two unknowns: velocity of A and velocity of the imaginary ball after the collision.

Thanks Voko, again I appologise for my lack of understanding, but from what you are saying I understand that the fact that the 2 balls striking at a 45 degree angle is not significant?

The 45 degree angle is very significant: it ensures that the balls will then move downward, which is why they can be replaced with the imaginary ball I mentioned.

sl235 said:
Mfb, would the lighter part A move upward at a 90 degree angle as depicted?
It would (for any mass), due to symmetry.

After taking symmetry into account, you have 3 unkown values after the collision:
1) upwards velocity of A
2) downwards velocity of Bs (same value for both B)
3) sidewards velocity of Bs (same magnitude, opposite direction)

Momentum conservation in vertical direction gives you a relation between 1 and 2, energy conservation a relation between all 3. This leaves one degree of freedom, which corresponds to the angle at the impact points: the transferred momentum in vertical and horizontal direction has to be the same, this gives a third equation and allows to solve the system.@voko: I can't see how a ball moving upwards would give any similar system.

mfb said:
@voko: I can't see how a ball moving upwards would give any similar system.

And I can't see how the balls could retain any horizontal velocity. The system is modeled to undergo an instantaneous absolutely elastic collision. Which means the normal momentum is reflected, and the tangential momentum is preserved. Which means the angle of reflection = angle of incidence, which in this case means the reflected motion is strictly downward.

To supplement that. In a less than fully elastic collision, there will be some horizontal velocity. But there is not enough information to model that.

voko said:
And I can't see how the balls could retain any horizontal velocity. The system is modeled to undergo an instantaneous absolutely elastic collision. Which means the normal momentum is reflected, and the tangential momentum is preserved.
The wall has a finite mass, and will move a bit after the collision. Therefore, the transferred momentum is smaller - the downwards movement will be slower than the initial velocity (should be obvious from momentum conservation) and some horizontal movement remains.

What is a 2D elastic collision?

A 2D elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that after the collision, the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same as before the collision.

What is the formula for calculating the final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision is:
v1f = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2)*v1i + (2*m2)/(m1+m2)*v2i
v2f = (2*m1)/(m1+m2)*v1i + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2)*v2i
Where v1f and v2f are the final velocities of objects 1 and 2, respectively, m1 and m2 are their masses, and v1i and v2i are their initial velocities.

How is a 2D elastic collision different from a 2D inelastic collision?

In a 2D inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and is instead converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound. This results in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system after the collision. In contrast, a 2D elastic collision is when kinetic energy is conserved and there is no loss of energy.

What are the assumptions made in the 2D elastic collision formula?

The 2D elastic collision formula assumes that the colliding objects are point masses, there is no external force acting on the system, and there is no loss of energy due to friction or other factors. It also assumes a perfectly elastic collision, meaning that there is no deformation of the objects involved.

What are some real-world examples of 2D elastic collisions?

Some real-world examples of 2D elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a table, balls bouncing off each other on a pool table, and objects colliding in a game of air hockey. These collisions can also be seen in the sport of curling, when stones collide on the ice. Additionally, collisions between subatomic particles in particle accelerators can be considered 2D elastic collisions.