Job after Electrical Engineering Technology

In summary, the two most popular skills for electrical engineering technologists are programming and circuit design. It is important to pursue a 4 year degree to be competitive in the job market.
DeeJayCruiser
Hey all I graduated in 2009 with 2 Bachelor of Arts, worked for 3 years (profesionally as a marketer and doing PR) but didn't enjoy my career and wanted to transition to electrical engineering as I was looking for more stability in my future career prospects.

I started off with a 2 year accelerated technology program, and am at the end of my first semester and would really like some insight from those of you in electrical engineering and technology.

What are the skills that in demand for electrical engineering technologists? Programming, circuit design, autocad, automation?

What can I expect to be doing during an average day as an electrical engineering technologist?

Should I tough it out and go for a 4 year degree (option available after graduation)?

How is the job market in Canada and where are the hotspots?

I have opted not to take the co-op route since I am older and want to get in and out ASAP and continue with my professional life. What can I do today to make myself a more competitive candidate upon graduation??

Thanks for your help everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have limited knowledge about this as I recently asked a question similar to yours, but I'm pretty sure programming is a well sought-after skill.

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in Australia you'd have no chance in hell of finding something with just a technologist diploma. You'd be competing with people who have electrical engineering degrees and there's more graduates than there are graduate positions (don't listen to the media). I would of recommended starting with the 4 year degree, the diploma is worthless here.

Vadar2012 said:
I don't know how it works in Canada, but in Australia you'd have no chance in hell of finding something with just a technologist diploma. You'd be competing with people who have electrical engineering degrees and there's more graduates than there are graduate positions (don't listen to the media). I would of recommended starting with the 4 year degree, the diploma is worthless here.

First off; I will start with the basics.

2 year degree is considered Technician
4 year degree is considered Technologist

The 2 year degree is fighting for scraps and you will be lucky to do anything advance with it.
The 4 year degree is competing with full fledge EE's. Doesn't mean it is a losing battle, just means you are competing with them.

I work for a department who has 4 EE's, and 4 EET's. The EET's outclass the EE's by far.

EET's are better suited for a manufacturing setting, EE's are better suited for high end engineering positions that require analysis. EE's will most likely make more then EET's fresh out the gate.

The key is to go to a ABET accredit program..key words..not "school". ABET is attached to the program itself; make sure you understand this. A EET ABET graduate can take the Fundamentals Engineering Exam, pass. Work under a PE for a few years and become a Professional Engineer just like a EE can.

If you were to become a EET at my job, you would need to get trained in Autocad, 3d modeling program called Pro/ Engineer..get to use a module inside of that program called Pro/Cabling. You would possibly design a project in 3d model, get the schematics and circuits down. You would get your parts ordered.. Test fit it in a test site; make any revisions. Rinse and Repeat.

EET's will need to know PLC programming such as basic ladder logic to be competitive.

Both the electrical department and mechanical department managers would hire technologists no problem.

In other words..get the 4 year degree. Wether it is EET or EE, not getting it will be a disservice to you.

bump! Thank you all for your input...I absolutely understand the need for a degree.

Does anyone know if there are any organizations in Canada/ontario that provide information for prospective technologists and information about the field and how to develop good skills to get a good job?

Just to clear something up: in Canada a technologist diploma is a 2 year program, a 4 year program is a degree. Technologists are very employable in British Columbia. I did the 2 year program and then continued with a degree. All of my classmates got a job after the 2 year technologist program. In fact there were more requests from employers for graduates than there were graduates. As far as the kind of work goes, I would agree with what was said above.

i agree with greentlc.
a lot of my friends have diploma of technology from british columbia institute of technology and they get jobs extremely easily. My cousin has a diploma of trades from BCIT and his first job 2 weeks after graduation was at EA around 35/hr. I know in BC its very employable(but living here is pretty expensive)

Thanks for clearing that up, yes there is a difference between a technologist diploma, technology degree, and BEE

With all of that in mind, i just finished my first semester. I dropped the ball for about the first 3/4 of it and really picked up my game near the end finishing in the smack dab middle of my class. I know I will improve but what does it take to make a good electrical engineering technologist? What should i prepare myself today to face in the marketplace in a year and a half.

Also, I have a degree (4 year BA in media technologies and philosopy (two majors) and I worked and started my own business (full scale, and sold it off to go back to school, the work was too demanding and I couldn't handle it anymore)

So all that aside I browse through Electrical Engineering Job Postings these days and see that employers want 2 years experience across the board. How can I circumvent that? I have worked professionally for nearly 4 years (sales, marketing, advertising, software development), but would employers put that towards 2 years of experience, and if not, how can i get experience as a new grad? I am not doing co-op since I just wnat the diploma and want out to look for a job

1. What types of jobs can I get after completing a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology?

There are many job opportunities for individuals with a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, electronics technician, control systems engineer, and power systems engineer. These professionals can work in a variety of industries, such as energy, manufacturing, telecommunications, and aerospace.

2. What skills do I need to have for a job in Electrical Engineering Technology?

In addition to technical knowledge and understanding of electrical systems, individuals in this field should possess strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. It is also important to have good communication and teamwork abilities, as well as the ability to adapt to new technologies and continuously learn and update skills.

3. Is a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology in demand in the job market?

Yes, there is a high demand for individuals with a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that employment in this field will grow by 5% from 2020 to 2030, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the increasing use of technology and the need for professionals to design, develop, and maintain electrical systems.

4. Do I need to have a license to work as an Electrical Engineering Technologist?

In most cases, a license is not required to work as an Electrical Engineering Technologist. However, some states may require individuals to pass a licensing exam to work in certain settings, such as public infrastructure or power distribution. It is important to check with your state's engineering board for specific requirements.

5. How much can I expect to earn in a job after completing a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology?

The salary for individuals with a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology can vary depending on the job title, industry, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical and electronics engineering technicians was $65,260 in May 2020. However, salaries can range from around $40,000 to over $100,000 per year, depending on experience and other factors.