YAG (Y3Al5O12) opticaly stimulated luminescence

• Thread starter binomm16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stimulated
In summary, the conversation is about seeking information on the pure YAG luminescence spectra when excited by a continuous laser source at 367 nm. The person asking the question is researching YAG ceramics and has found that it glows with green light when excited by a nitrogen laser. There is also a discussion about the possible presence of admixtures in the sample.
binomm16
Hi!

Can anyone help me with information about pure YAG luminescence spectra
(ideal case will be excitation with continuous laser source at 367 nm [Nitrogen] )
or even energy levels diagram?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know pure YAG crystal is transparent at this wavelength. What is the reason for the luminescence do you mean?

Well. I haven't found any references on this theme. It's the main reason why I ask this question.
The main topic of my research is YAG ceramics (undoped). And it GLOWS with green light
when I use nitrogen laser as excitation source.

And does an ordinary crystal YAG glow? May be there are some admixtures?

Ammonium bicarbonate was used as a precipitator. There is possibility of presence of small portion in sample.

1. What is YAG opticaly stimulated luminescence?

YAG (Y3Al5O12) is a synthetic crystal that exhibits luminescence when exposed to a specific wavelength of light. This phenomenon, known as opticaly stimulated luminescence, occurs when the crystal absorbs energy from incoming light and then releases it in the form of visible light.

2. How is YAG used in scientific research?

YAG opticaly stimulated luminescence is commonly used in the field of dosimetry, which involves measuring radiation doses. The crystal's luminescence is sensitive to radiation, making it a useful tool for quantifying the amount of radiation an object has been exposed to. This can be applied in fields such as archaeology, geology, and medical physics.

3. What are the properties of YAG that make it suitable for opticaly stimulated luminescence?

YAG has a high density and a high atomic number, making it an efficient absorber of incoming light and radiation. It also has a wide bandgap energy, which allows it to store and release energy in the form of luminescence. Additionally, YAG is chemically stable and has a long afterglow, allowing for accurate and prolonged measurements.

4. How is YAG prepared for use in opticaly stimulated luminescence?

YAG crystals are typically grown using the Czochralski method, where a high-purity YAG seed crystal is dipped into a melt of alumina and yttria. The crystal is then slowly pulled out of the melt, allowing for a single crystal to form. The crystal is then cut and polished to the desired size and shape for use in experiments.

5. What are the potential applications of YAG opticaly stimulated luminescence in the future?

YAG has shown promise in various fields, including radiation dosimetry, medical imaging, and environmental monitoring. As technology advances, YAG may also have potential applications in fields such as optoelectronics, solar energy conversion, and quantum computing. Further research and development are needed to fully explore the potential of YAG opticaly stimulated luminescence.