Can AIDs Virus Survive in Cow's Blood?

In summary, there is no such thing as an "AIDS virus." AIDS is a syndrome, like having cancer, or being unconscious. The term "Human" indicates that the virus generally infects only humans. Other species have related virii, like SIV (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus), which infects monkeys. As far as I'm aware, there is no Bovine Immunodeficiency Virus which would infect cows.
stoned
can aids virus survive in cow's blood?

Biology news on Phys.org
nope, if it could then cows would be carriers, and there not.

1) There is no such thing as an "AIDS virus." AIDS is a syndrome, like having cancer, or being unconscious. It is etiologically linked with the virus called HIV, which stands for "Human Immunodeficiency Virus."

2) The term "Human" indicates that the virus generally infects only humans. If I'm not mistaken, HIV can also show some activity in other closely-related animals like chimpanzees.

3) Other species have related virii, like SIV (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus), which infects monkeys.

4) As far as I'm aware, there is no Bovine Immunodeficiency Virus which would infect cows.

- Warren

We'd be kinda screwed if there was an autoimmune deficiany that affected cows. Especially if we didn't know about it or how to detect it.

We'd be unscrewed, actually, misskitty. An enormous amount of land would suddenly become available for agriculture, which produces many times more Calories per unit land area than does cattle. All the resources (oil, energy, water, etc.) that are currently wasted on cattle would also suddenly become available for more efficient use. It'd force people to start following a vegetarian or vegan diet, which would improve public health and decrease a large variety of health costs. Sure, it'd ruin a few industries, but those people would find new jobs. I think it'd be one of the best things to ever happen to the modern food infrastructure.

- Warren

Hmm, :rolleyes: interesting point. I can see where you're coming from.

However, I heard this from my chiropractor and my PCP, (it could be wrong, but that's why I'm asking) that people who follow vegetitarian or vegan diets live shorter lives than people who include in meat in their diets. How much merit does this statement actually have? I'm skeptical on how valid this statement really is.

I'm not trying to harp on anyone's lifestyle. Please don't think I am. My apologies to anyone who might be offended.

1. Can the AIDS virus survive in cow's blood?

Yes, the AIDS virus (HIV) can survive in cow's blood. However, it cannot replicate or spread in cows as they do not have the necessary receptors for the virus to enter their cells.

2. Can cows get infected with the AIDS virus?

No, cows cannot get infected with the AIDS virus. They do not have the right type of immune cells for the virus to infect and multiply.

3. Is it safe to consume cow's blood if it contains the AIDS virus?

No, it is not safe to consume cow's blood if it contains the AIDS virus. The virus can only survive for a short period of time outside of the human body and is easily destroyed by cooking or pasteurization.

4. Can the AIDS virus be transmitted from cows to humans through blood contact?

No, the AIDS virus cannot be transmitted from cows to humans through blood contact. As mentioned earlier, cows do not have the right type of immune cells for the virus to infect and multiply. Additionally, the virus is not easily transmitted through blood contact, as it requires direct access to the bloodstream, which is unlikely in regular contact with cows.

5. Can the AIDS virus mutate and become infectious to cows?

No, the AIDS virus cannot mutate and become infectious to cows. The virus specifically targets human immune cells and would require significant genetic changes to be able to infect and replicate in cows.